wildlife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have escaped a lot of bee attacks. I guess they are too disoriented from slamming the ground to be interested in attacking me. When the skidder driver would come around, he would receive the brunt of the bees anger. most of the time I didn't even know there where bees in the tree. I usually was not so lucky with yellow jackets in the ground, they are ready for action as soon as the tree hits.. Used to see a lot of squirrels and deer, the deer like eating the nice foliage off the tops of trees, I would always see them first thing in the morning. I once cut a tract that was full of cows, NEVER had so many ticks at the end of each day:taped:

I've escaped a lot of bee attacks myself but have not made it away many times.
One of my favorite tales is a time when I was falling about a 3 forty foot log hemlock that grew out of the base of an oldgrowth fir snag. All the bark had come down from the snag and piled up at the base of the tree. The place for this hemlock to go was across a wet barren seep about 100' across. The limbs on the hemlock were all out front so when it fell there would be no limbs facing up from the tree when I fell it. I knew I was about out of gas but figured that I had enough gas to fall and buck it if I got with it. I slipped a draw notch in it and let it go. As it fell it pushed a bunch of the bark down with it and as I reached down to plug in my tape I noticed that there was an uncovered yellowjacket swarm right at the butt. One of them little fighter jets nailed me right on the end of the chin. I reared back, give my saw a big fling out into the seep and ran the full length of the tree. As I reached the end of the tree I looked back and saw my 056 magnum laying there as if I'd set it down. Suddenly the revs picked up and it started to run out of gas. The chain took off and buried the 3 foot bar and chain straight down into the seep. Didn't do my chain any good but I did have to have a good laugh over that one.

I hate them yellow jackest. I was skinning a Big Boar once, and one of the S.O.B's stung me right on the tip of my finger #### That hurt!

I hate them yellow jackest. I was skinning a Big Boar once, and one of the S.O.B's stung me right on the tip of my finger #### That hurt!
Yeah, I hate em too. We have a lot of them and they like to build their nests in the ground. In the fall their sting seems to pack a bigger punch. Not sure if it's the carrion they feed on from hunters killing game or what but there's sure a difference in their sting. We also have a bald faced hornet here that will really knock your socks off. They're black and white, bigger than yellowjackets and mean. Funny how a little insect can make a big man run like a rabbit.

We have the bald face ones too, when I see those bastard's I try, and give em a little room. When cutting wood, and brush, and stuff where we hunt I am always looking around my feet, and stuff, well I guess like driving not only watching for a hazard from the tree or whatever, but constantly scanning for rattlesnakes, and yellow jackets. The lousy thing about the bee's, not a hella of alot you can do. I got lucky before, and was able to get away before by running, but it was close, and those yellow jackets chased me. I bet a quarter mile maybe. They sure don't quit easy. We get some big scorpions too. Funny the scorpions like the tan oak, I guess because of the thick bark, and the black widow's like hiding in the Madrone.

Yeah, I hate em too. We have a lot of them and they like to build their nests in the ground. In the fall their sting seems to pack a bigger punch. Not sure if it's the carrion they feed on from hunters killing game or what but there's sure a difference in their sting. We also have a bald faced hornet here that will really knock your socks off. They're black and white, bigger than yellowjackets and mean. Funny how a little insect can make a big man run like a rabbit.

I had a bald face hornet trace the trajectory of a rock I threw at his nest, he nailed me in the nose from a good 60 feet away, by the time I saw him coming it was too late, I ended up looking like a baboon for a few hours, face all puffed up. Then the next day I was completely out of it..

056 kid, when they are pissed off it is amazing, kinda scary how determined they are for revenge! Coast faller cool pic, nice lil buck!

so dissapointed today when i didnt bring a camera, i was topping a nice walnut in the woods about 40 feet up so i had a nice view, when my dad (who was standing at the base of the tree) about got run over by a fawn that got spooked by the log skidder as it passed by.. funniest thing ever, i thought it was a dog at first but then saw the spots, it got about a foot from him before it decided to go around him goin like a bat outta hell to get away from that skidder!

Great idea for a thread, though I'm not seeing many pics. I have alot of pics of wildlife I have seen and found. Buck skulls, salamanders, tree frogs, etc. I will see if I can get them posted over here.

Back