WildThing Vs. Earthquake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Reaction score
View attachment 276872

Ive been joking with Scott, that we'll have to see which disposable saw would win in a race. Im been brain storming all night. This is what I think Im gonna have to send off to him to whip up on his china made redmax. Give me a lil bit to get her together, but when she is done........ no quake will stand a chance! :msp_biggrin:

you need a life matt:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin: but i like it,, you re so warped minded,,no wonder you fit in so well

now if you want to do this i will pull one down again and go borrow a friend of mines machine shop and do some cutting on the cylinder:msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

Well now, even with the exhaust port opened up it's not as big as a stock Wild Thing port with that steel insert in it. It's gonna be hard to make up for that plus the larger displacement with an air filter! That 42cc Poulan engine actually makes quite good power with a muffler mod.

Seriously though, I ran a Craftsman version of the Wild Thing for years and now have a 1998 A/V version I just put a chromed Poulan Pro PP260 engine into. So if you were to compare a PP260 to the Earthquake G3800 clone they both have good A/V and chrome cylinders. The Earthquake is lighter, narrower and has an adjustable oiler (who cares really in a saw this size - I'll never touch it).

The Earthquake has a 2-piece metal (probably aluminum) chassis while the PP260 is plastic, but both are strong. The PP260 is going to make more power.

As far as manufacturing, the PP260 is higher quality parts and made in US and a Wild Thing would be too, plus you get a supply of parts. And a new Wild Thing would have a strato engine for lower fuel use and less exhaust crap to breath.

I do like running both saws. With the Earthquake ported and the base gasket removed and muffler modded it's pretty snotty actually, while still light and well balanced like the G3800 original. It's the same basic chassis as my McCulloch MS4018 (GZ4000) 40cc strato saw which is a far better comparison to my 42cc Craftsman/Poulan. Both are muffler modded with stock engines. I'm running the McCulloch most now because of the lower fuel use and emissions, but the older Poulan has more power - it always starts and runs well, it has a large fuel tank and it just works.

Scott, I do have a life............ FIREWOOD, FAMILY, Fixing cars, Playing with saws. :msp_biggrin:
Gotta have fun somehow.

Pics

View attachment 278148View attachment 278149

Hey Scott, your quake scared? It should be :laugh::laugh::D:laugh::laugh: 180psi ported and piped, sporting a carb off a 55 Husqvarna.

But in seriousness, how do you guys get your linkages to work when swapping carbs? Needle nose pliers and just "trial and error"? Thats where Im at. She sounds pretty good, dremel got a work out :laugh:.

View attachment 278148View attachment 278149

Hey Scott, your quake scared? It should be :laugh::laugh::D:laugh::laugh: 180psi ported and piped, sporting a carb off a 55 Husqvarna.

But in seriousness, how do you guys get your linkages to work when swapping carbs? Needle nose pliers and just "trial and error"? Thats where Im at. She sounds pretty good, dremel got a work out :laugh:.

that is just soooo wrong,,, that just against all laws of reason,,, but i like it:D:D

Nitrous up the wildthing!:D

Timberwolf wild thing

wildthingNOS.jpg

i think we need to see a pic of scotts progress on the quake. that wild thing is looking bad @#$. should set it up with nos just like the timberwolf wild thing.:hmm3grin2orange:

Holy hell it's a piped Poulan , Well my friend you have managed to Hotrod a "wild thing" You should call it project "REALLY wild thing". Whats next Stihl MS170s :X

Latest posts

Back