Will 25:1 outboard oil work for McCulloch Timerbear?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberbearrules

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.
I finally got my timerbear running!
I'm so thrilled....it's been broke for years.
I just so happened to read the manual while the girl was broken. It says to use a 40:1 mixture if using McCulloch oil(where you get this I don't know) or 16:1 with all other oils.
I know some two cycle oils are thinner and thicker than others.
I have a whole gas can of 25:1 fuel I mixed up for my outboards....I think it's the cheap Super-Tech wallworld oil.

Do you think this will burn my saw up?
It looks like it's smokin' plenty when running.....

Running a can through it won't hurt it. Going forward, I'd run 50:1 with std. 2 stroke oil.

It says to use a 40:1 mixture if using McCulloch oil(where you get this I don't know) or 16:1 with all other oils.

Umm, gas and oil are cheap. Pistons and cylinders are not. Just buy good pre-mix (Husky or Stihl) and run it at 50:1. That's the best advice I can give.

Hi Everyone.

I have a whole gas can of 25:1 fuel I mixed up for my outboards....I think it's the cheap Super-Tech wallworld oil.

I was told by a chainsaw dealer never to run outboard oil in a chain saw because the outboard oil doesn't contain any "coolant". Besides a chainsaw is a higher revving engine than an outboard engine.
I wouldn't want to try it in my saw.
Jim

Hi Everyone.
I finally got my timerbear running!
I'm so thrilled....it's been broke for years.
I just so happened to read the manual while the girl was broken. It says to use a 40:1 mixture if using McCulloch oil(where you get this I don't know) or 16:1 with all other oils.
I know some two cycle oils are thinner and thicker than others.

not worth it. a good 2 stroke oil will burn alot cleaner and leave the piston and exhaust port alot cleaner.

wouldn't it be a pain to have to pull it down to clean the piston because you saved a couple bucks on oil?

Guys, I have a (stupid) neighbor that ONLY runs outboard oil in all his equipment. He's been doing this for countless years because he was given a five gallon drum of it for free. He uses these tools every week and has been doing this for years, he has never had a single issue.

I'm not saying I'd run outboard oil in my new saws, but it certainly isn't going to hurt an old timerbear to run one can of gas/outboard oil through it when mixed at 25:1!

I was told by a chainsaw dealer never to run outboard oil in a chain saw because the outboard oil doesn't contain any "coolant". Besides a chainsaw is a higher revving engine than an outboard engine.
Jim

Yes, only Stihl Ultra oil has ethylene glycol for extra cooling.

Just Kidding:biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange: :biggrinbounce2: I doesn't really. Actually. I think the petro in the fuel mix provides some internal cooling.

Jim

How many RPMS is the old bear putting out?

There is a difference between the additive package of TCW-3 water cooled two cycle oil and TC air cooled two cycle oil. The additive package is what custom taylors the oil to the application the engine is running at. Yes you can run outboard oil in an air cooled engine like a chainsaw, however it is not ideal and care should be taken to make sure that a rich enough ratio is used. Would I do it? Probably not, because as many have already posted here oil and gas are cheap and engines are not. But I would not waste the mix either, small amounts in a 4 cycle mower or older truck will not hurt them. I use Mobil One synthetic oil in all my two cycles at 32 to 1 and have had no problems with plug fouling, carbon build up, and no smoke after warm up. What more could you ask for?

To break it down a little farther for you.... An outboard motor is water cooled,only spins 6500rpm and usually never exceeds 155*. an aircooled chainsaw spins 10,000+rpm and runs 200*+. the outboard oil is designed to work in it's environment, Not Hot, Not Fast. Chainsaw oil is made to protect in it's environment, Hot & Fast. I Thought if outboard oil was good enough for a $20,000.00 motor it would be good enough for for a chainsaw- I Was Wrong, Thats why I have "2" Husky Ranchers. In the Middle of cutting down a huge Pine that was leaning toward my house, My 55 Rancher siezed cause it was working Hard running outboard oil, Had to run to lowes and buy the 455 to finish the job. You "could" get away with running a rich mixture in a slower reving saw, I wouldn't risk it (again) in a newer model saw.

Congratulations on getting a Mac running! If you score the piston in your TimberBear, you can not get replacement parts. I just burned up a Mac PM610 and a Rancher 51 using some cheap oil from the quicky mart. It might have been bad oil but the mechanic also said running too much oil is bad.
Now I have an excuse to get a real saw.
Ed

Outboard Oil?

Outboard oil cost me my first saw...and it taught me a good lesson.

First, outboard oil is NOT made for air cooled engines. It is for a much cooler running engine (water cooled). Outboard engines typically run between 160 to 180 degrees F. Your saw will run MUCH hotter than that.

Second, why would you want to risk your investment (worth potentially hundred$ of dollar$) for some cheap oil? The risk/reward analysis says...buy good quality 2-stroke oil and leave the TC-W3 outboard oil in the boat.:monkey:

JQ

In my younger days I ran outboard oil in dad's old Zip. But at 6500 RPM it didn't matter. I run a synthetic at 40:1 for all my 2-stroke stuff now.

Latest posts

Back