Will a J-red 670 Cylinder work on a Husky 266 block?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you will need to use that impulse with the currect intake setup. the husky cyl has impulse drilled in the carb mounting block. the jred does not have that config. it will fit but you need the cyl carb and all the carb mounting setup to do it. i have boxes of 266 stuff that had a few jred 670s. cases are the same other than red vs orange

you will need to use that impulse with the currect intake setup. the husky cyl has impulse drilled in the carb mounting block. the jred does not have that config. it will fit but you need the cyl carb and all the carb mounting setup to do it. i have boxes of 266 stuff that had a few jred 670s. cases are the same other than red vs orange[/QUOTE

Exactly...:agree2:...What he said!!

Thanks. I have an nos 670 super top end, came across a toasted 266. I think I'll just keep watching and waiting for 670 parts. There was a healthy price on that 266..

Last edited:
Yep the only other thing you'll need is the choke pull from a 670, 630, 625. The Jonsered high idle/choke system is different than the Husky. However if you don't have the choke pull from the Jonsered the Husky one will still work just has to be flipped over and a little piece cut out to fit around the allen head bolt which is the rear 670 carb mount. You'll see what I mean when you get that far. Oh and you may have to bore a hole in the case for this mount too. Other than that it should swap out easily if you have all the cyl, carb, and carb mounting stuff, air filter elbow/mount.

I was picturin/wonderin (saws not at my disposal unless I buy it) maybe I could get/make a diaphragm cover for the husky carb that had the external impulse port. With the husky carb being flipped -vs- the j-red position there might not be room to run the impulse line under the carb. though. Can't fully picture it, but an idea.

edit> ok, the diaphragm does not appear to be on the impulse line side of the carb., but the question remains. My 920 carb has the external impulse, and what appears to be a port for internal that just get's blocked when mounted. Thinking out loud, apologies.

Last edited:
I was picturin/wonderin (saws not at my disposal unless I buy it) maybe I could get/make a diaphragm cover for the husky carb that had the external impulse port. With the husky carb being flipped -vs- the j-red position there might not be room to run the impulse line under the carb. though. Can't fully picture it, but an idea.

edit> ok, the diaphragm does not appear to be on the impulse line side of the carb., but the question remains. My 920 carb has the external impulse, and what appears to be a port for internal that just get's blocked when mounted. Thinking out loud, apologies.

Yeah you might be able to do that by running the impulse line up to the isolation block and tapping into the impulse corridor with a nipple and getting your impulse that way so you could run the Husky carb and isolation block. I did the opposite on the 61/268XP in my sig. I tapped into the impulse corridor and ran a line to the top fed impulse 670 carb. I used a right angle fuel elbow from another tilly carb in the isolation block. A word of advise; if you do tap in there do it closer to the carb than the cyl because if you don't, you may problems getting the top cover on without hacking on the cyl/carb box partition.

My biggest concern was that the cylinder might be a different height ie; capture a different length of the stroke. Other concerns as well. If I get the 266, what I might try is to replace the non-external ported Tilly HS carb part with a ported one, then come up under the case deck to access that port - as it would be on the bottom of the carb rather than the top. If it comes to pass, I'll bump with my results. Thanks again.

My biggest concern was that the cylinder might be a different height ie; capture a different length of the stroke. Other concerns as well. If I get the 266, what I might try is to replace the non-external ported Tilly HS carb part with a ported one, then come up under the case deck to access that port - as it would be on the bottom of the carb rather than the top. If it comes to pass, I'll bump with my results. Thanks again.

As Niko said the stroke is the same. Another thing to think on and look at if you do get the 266 is the carb. A lot of 266s came with a 163A carb same as used on the 61. Some others (XP) used the 224 carb. I went with the 250 (670 Super II) because I like the Jonsered choke/high idle set up and also it has quite a bit larger bore than the 163. If you stayed with the husky set up you could go up to the 260 carb which is the same as the 250 just a different way to get the impulse. The 250 or 260 would be sized correctly for your NOS 670 top end.

I'll see what it has, carbs abound here so I'm sure I'd find what I'm looking for. To clarify my initial concern, I was aware they had the same stroke, but thought it possible the deck heights fell in different locations along that stroke. Still an awkward point, but I see it is not a worry anyways. The 266 I saw had wrap handles, sorry 'bout the wraps Niko, but I like 'em here. :) - Eric

Last edited:
Back