Will leaves return to newly planted Clump River Birch?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LifeElevated

Reaction score
Hello, about two weeks ago, I had two clump river birch trees planted by the local nursery. I live in Northern Florida. When they arrived, I noticed that one of the river birches had a severe bald spot at top. I repeatedly asked the planting team if the leaves would return. As you can imagine, I did not want to pay for a half bald tree. However, they reassured me that the leaves would grow back, possibly even within the next few months. The planting team added bone meal and fertilizer along with 4 bags of new dirt to my heavy clay soil upon planting. I was told to water daily for 9 weeks. I still have strong concerns about this one river birch now that it has also dropped some more leaves. See my photos. I have a 4 month guarantee on this tree. Should I be concerned? Will the leaves come back? - Worried homeowner.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 26
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 28
First, I need to state that Birches should always be planted while in dormancy. Second, River Birches are one resilient tree. You have a 4mo guarantee (a joke) keep the nursery on notice every month with updates & pics. Losing a leader on the triple should warrant a discount. I would ask the nursery why one third of my tree was defoliated when planted? Guessing wind burn during transport from the fields.

Thanks tons Raintree! Update on this. Early this AM, I went over to the nursery with my photos, during planting and then current images. The nursery said they would send someone to come look. Well, I am pleased to note that they will be replacing my tree. I very much appreciate your quick response, for it helped me sound far more knowledgeable talking to management about my concerns! Thanks Raintree!

Latest posts

Back