Will one chain saw more wood than another?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is still going, hot diggy dog its Christmas time in the city baby, Santa's coming to town. He won't pay for any gifts so I hope his fat azz falls and hits the ground.

The above is my new Xmas song I'm working on,LOL

Back to the chain/speed theroy of two of the same exact chains. I think I have come up with something that may have some bearing on it.

I was in the shower a bit ago washing and scrubbing all this mass of luv muscle. Afterwards I went to the sink and put on some shaving cream and proceeded to shave this face of tremendous beauty. I picked up my razor and found it to be dull. It was yanking hair instead of shaving hair. I tend to pull that razor pretty fast across my face all the time. I do so because if I look in the mirror too long I start talking to myself saying things like why me Lord, why did you give me all the good looks and give Space none. Anyway I got a new razor and man that thing just slid across my manly skin leaving a path of hairless beauty. I noticed the slower I pulled the razor the cleaner path it left behind. Was no need for two strokes down the same path.

Therefore instead of shaving fast like I always do I will slow down my strokes and refrain from hurrying and gettttering done, shaving boys, shaving. Will the slow stroke make my razor stay sharp longer, only my face will know for sure. I'll count how many shaves I get out of this razor before I go ouch, this MOFO is dull. Then I will go back to my fast stroke shaving and compare the number of shaves I got out of both razors and the time it took me to keep this thing of beauty beyond compare looking pruty.

:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Thall your going to have to lock that razor away when your done in case some woman decides to use it and spoil your test!

I'm with ya brother Belgian. Lets use some simple logic concerning metal and force.

Ever see those car tests where they slam them suckers into a solid steel block and tearem all to hell testing the saftey of the car. They put those empty cars on a track and sendem to that block of steel at 40mph. The car hits it and crunch, front end tore to hell. Now lets send that car to that block of steel at 100mph. Which car will have more damage, the one going 100mph of course. Why, faster impact and the weight of the force at impact dull to the increased speed.

Now do that test with SawTrolls Volvo and see that block of steel die!
Might just break an indicator lens on the Volvo lol

Hahaha. You guy's crack me up.
Here's an analogy on the other end of the spectrum. It's not, but it sounds more like comparing apples to apples, rather than crashing cars, and carbide cutters.

My bandsaw mill will cut for aproximately 2 hours before dulling the blade in clean wood. The blade is turning at 5800 sfpm.
If I slow the engine rpm down so that I'm only turning 4800 sfpm will the blade last longer?
No, it will dull quicker. This won't seem logical to those who don't understand how the blade on a band mill does it's job. Nothing else is really comparable to a band blade.
Nothing else really compares to a saw chain either. You have to understand how it works. Just because a person can run a chain grinder dosen't mean they understand how a chain works.

Andy

Great post there, you bring up band saws. I worked in a little steel shop onetime many years ago. They had this big bandsaw to cut metal beams with. You would put the beam on a set of rollers, line up where you want to cut it and the rest was automatic. The bandsaw itself was mounted on arms and the blade was being fed oil/water mix to keep it cool while cutting. This machine only had one speed. It lowered itself and raised itself. You couldn't adjust the rasing or the lowering of this machine, it was pre-set fully automatic.

The thing cut steel good but man was it slow. I told the boss, man that saw works great but its slow. He goes yes but thats for a reason. He said if you sped it up it wouldn't cut as long and the blades would wear out faster. I said but think of how much more steel you could cut in less time. He goes no no, a few fast cuts and the blade will be shot. Its designed to cut at that speed it is so we get the most cuts out of each blade. He closed with and those damn blades cost alot of money boy, I was like okkkkkkkk.

I found when the blade got dull on that machine it automaticly stopped lowering itself. You had no choice but change the blade.

I still think we need a 25 mile long log,LOLOL

Hahaha. You guy's crack me up.
Here's an analogy on the other end of the spectrum. It's not, but it sounds more like comparing apples to apples, rather than crashing cars, and carbide cutters.

My bandsaw mill will cut for aproximately 2 hours before dulling the blade in clean wood. The blade is turning at 5800 sfpm.
If I slow the engine rpm down so that I'm only turning 4800 sfpm will the blade last longer?
No, it will dull quicker. This won't seem logical to those who don't understand how the blade on a band mill does it's job. Nothing else is really comparable to a band blade.
Nothing else really compares to a saw chain either. You have to understand how it works. Just because a person can run a chain grinder dosen't mean they understand how a chain works.

Andy

Never worked with a bandsaw other than for cutting steel, So please explain why it dulls quicker running slower?
I wont sleep tonight if i dont find out:cry:

That thing is 12.99. Hell I can buy a pack of razors, 4 pack, for 7.99 here. No shipping either,LOL

LOL Got me one of those 3 blade vibrating razors mach3 power and it does give a better shave when its vibrating!
I have a 5 blade one as well but its lame and the blades are real expensive like $5 each!

My last logic and then back to work. Does heat cause failure and damage. Does speed cause this heat in question.

A set of brake pads on Dale Jr's car are doing more work because of the high speed and more use of the brakes. They show the rotors on these cars with mounted camera's turning blood red during the race. The length of the race doesn't make these rotors turn cherry red, the speed does mutiplying the friction. Even Nascar will tell you more speed, more friction equals more wear. It goes for the brakes, the trans and the engine.

I bring this up because I got one brother that has a heavy foot, he drives like he had to be there yesterday. He's always bi-tching his brake pads and rotors don't last very long. His Honda Accord needed brakes and rotors at 35,000 miles

Me, I'm the guy you cuss if you get behind me going down the road. I drive like grandpaw. I drive the speed limit or less most times. I come to a slow even stop, most times I'll try to coast to the stop to save my brakes. My last truck went 90,000 miles on the first set. Didn't need rotors at all, only brake pads.

I told him if ya quit driving like a speed demon ya brakes would last alot longer. His reply, I aint got all day,LOLOLOL

Would Nascar agree the speed of a chain cutting would determind the pace it dulls instead of how much wood it cut, Shooter give them boys a call,:cheers: :cheers:

LOL Got me one of those 3 blade vibrating razors mach3 power and it does give a better shave when its vibrating!
I have a 5 blade one as well but its lame and the blades are real expensive like $5 each!

I got one of those too, the 3 blade Mach3 vibrater razor. Its the only razor the girlie friend lets me use on HER,LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

My last logic and then back to work. Does heat cause failure and damage. Does speed cause this heat in question.

A set of brake pads on Dale Jr's car are doing more work because of the high speed and more use of the brakes. They show the rotors on these cars with mounted camera's turning blood red during the race. The length of the race doesn't make these rotors turn cherry red, the speed does mutiplying the friction. Even Nascar will tell you more speed, more friction equals more wear. It goes for the brakes, the trans and the engine.

I bring this up because I got one brother that has a heavy foot, he drives like he had to be there yesterday. He's always bi-tching his brake pads and rotors don't last very long. His Honda Accord needed brakes and rotors at 35,000 miles

Me, I'm the guy you cuss if you get behind me going down the road. I drive like grandpaw. I drive the speed limit or less most times. I come to a slow even stop, most times I'll try to coast to the stop to save my brakes. My last truck went 90,000 miles on the first set. Didn't need rotors at all, only brake pads.

I told him if ya quit driving like a speed demon ya brakes would last alot longer. His reply, I aint got all day,LOLOLOL

Would Nascar agree the speed of a chain cutting would determind the pace it dulls instead of how much wood it cut, Shooter give them boys a call,:cheers: :cheers:

So your thinking if you sold more High chainspeed saws you would make more money because they would need more sharpening and wear out faster.
Sheesh man is $$ all you think of lol:cheers:

So your thinking if you sold more High chainspeed saws you would make more money because they would need more sharpening and wear out faster.
Sheesh man is $$ all you think of lol:cheers:

Just got back from admiring my clean shaven face,my my,hehe, was ready to head out the door, forgot to turn the puter off.

To ya question there I'm wondering exactly the oppsite, if they slowed these saws down I wouldn't have to sharpen chains for people so often, I hate sharpening chains,LOLOL

Never worked with a bandsaw other than for cutting steel, So please explain why it dulls quicker running slower?
I wont sleep tonight if i dont find out:cry:

I wouldn't want you to loose any sleep on my account.:)

The teeth on a wood cutting band work totaly different than the teeth on a metal cutting band (both work totally different than a saw chain:dizzy: ).
The teeth on my band mill are spaced 1" apart, and are shaped kinda like a child's drawing of ocean wave's. There is no depth gauge, the teeth "drive" into the wood deeper and deeper untill the gullet is full. But the gullet is designed to let sawdust spill over the side stabilizing the back of the blade in the kerf left by the set in the teeth. So it takes a pretty big log to "fill" the gullets to the point that the teeth quit driving in. At 5800 sfpm the tooth dosen't stay in wood as long as at 4800 sfpm, therefore not letting the teeth drive in as deep. This lets each tooth cut less wood per pass, which equals less pressure on the tip of the tooth, but more teeth are passing through the log in the same space, allowing you to still have a good "feed rate".
If you apply this to a metal blade you would (as Thall said) quickly wear the teeth down to a nub due to friction (apples, & oranges).

Hope this makes you sleep better tonight.:cheers:

Andy

I wouldn't want you to loose any sleep on my account.:)

The teeth on a wood cutting band work totaly different than the teeth on a metal cutting band (both work totally different than a saw chain:dizzy: ).
The teeth on my band mill are spaced 1" apart, and are shaped kinda like a child's drawing of ocean wave's. There is no depth gauge, the teeth "drive" into the wood deeper and deeper untill the gullet is full. But the gullet is designed to let sawdust spill over the side stabilizing the back of the blade in the kerf left by the set in the teeth. So it takes a pretty big log to "fill" the gullets to the point that the teeth quit driving in. At 5800 sfpm the tooth dosen't stay in wood as long as at 4800 sfpm, therefore not letting the teeth drive in as deep. This lets each tooth cut less wood per pass, which equals less pressure on the tip of the tooth, but more teeth are passing through the log in the same space, allowing you to still have a good "feed rate".
If you apply this to a metal blade you would (as Thall said) quickly wear the teeth down to a nub due to friction (apples, & oranges).

Hope this makes you sleep better tonight.:cheers:

Andy

Thank you now i understand!
Yawn lol feelin tired now!

I think that's a good annalagy for the engine on a "hot rod" saw vs. a stock saw. But it won't hold water with chain's. If your chain turns red, there's something else wrong.
I'm pretty excited about seeing that 25 mile log too. But I think it would be worth more in one piece than cut up into 400 little pieces.:cheers:

Andy

Someone might have an argument if they say that a fast chain needs to 'cut' more wood then it's slower chain dose, I will try to explain that idea.

Take a very narrow knife and start whittling till it's dead-dull, you will know when that happens.

Next take a thicker knife and whittle the same way on the same wood.

First thing you will notice is the thicker knife is harder to push. The wood, as it is cut, is partially being wedged apart by the thickness of the knife. But that the thickness helps the knife cut, the thicker knife will stay sharper longer every time.

Saw chain cuts the same way, the apex of the cutting edge parts the wood fiber, and the ramp behind it helps wedge it apart.

Wood is springy, if the faster chain needs do more cutting because the wood can't ramp apart fast enough, the faster chain will dull sooner or with less wood cut.

Same could be said for how much DG a chain had, a thicker chip would be less springy then a thinner (shallower DG) chip, effecting the ware on the cutting edge.

Last edited:
I think that's a good annalagy for the engine on a "hot rod" saw vs. a stock saw. But it won't hold water with chain's. If your chain turns red, there's something else wrong.
I'm pretty excited about seeing that 25 mile log too. But I think it would be worth more in one piece than cut up into 400 little pieces.:cheers:

Andy

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

So ya telling me if I find the 25 mile long log we shouldn't cut it, well hell Red how we gonna do the chain test,LOLOL I know, heck we will get a short tree thats 12.5 miles around and letem cut till they stop dead,LOLOLOL

:givebeer: don't u all get it, the answer is, one is using oil mixed at 40:1 and the other is 50:1

lol

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkk who did it, dayumm it to hell. We found the 25 mile log, got two exact saws, two exact chains and now someone f-ck up the oil mix, this has gotta stop, these long trees aren't easy to find,LOL

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkk who did it, dayumm it to hell. We found the 25 mile log, got two exact saws, two exact chains and now someone f-ck up the oil mix, this has gotta stop, these long trees aren't easy to find,LOL

O yes now who was in charge of the oil????
Who would we trust to do the oil??
Oil..... There seems to be one name that crops up.
Starts with a G i think lol

Back