Will Strato charged motors be less reliable long term?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I care what you think of me why? I guess it certainly takes one to know one in your case. And yeh you and your SH girlfriends' are jabbing at someone. I just love how that whole POS site completely revolves around what goes on here.
It must really suck being so insecure...
And I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge that could benefit the site greatly if your ego wasn't getting in the way.
Oh well. I'm moving on.

That's a stretch. The guy can't figure out how a two cycle motor that uses much less fuel also has much less lubrication...
You me there,you must be an engineer as well? Judging by this thread and your continued babbling, you don't know either. Maybe you should read your own bs posts. Strato engines are more efficient, there is no reason to believe they get less lubrication. But you seem to have everything figured out. Just curious, how much time have you spent in a Stihl or husky tech school, tech update, or other factory sponsored courses???

Strato engines are more efficient, there is no reason to believe they get less lubrication. But you seem to have everything figured out. Just curious, how much time have you spent in a Stihl or husky tech school, tech update, or other factory sponsored courses???

spent a great deal of time watching training videos, reading documents, going to the tech schools for Dolmar, Echo, Jred....more efficient means there is less fuel flowing through the engine. less fuel through the engine also means less oil(lubrication) through the engine given that the mix ratio remained the same(which it did). 20% less fuel passing through the case is 20% less lubrication. Stihl claims up to a 20% fuel savings on their MS-311 so that is how i picked that number. Oil has improved along with manufactures knowledge on ensuring components are kept cool and lubricated(doohicky on a 461) but 20% less is 20% less no matter how you look at it. Manufactures have a vested interest in convincing consumers and techs/dealers that there is no sacrifice in engine longevity. Do you really think Stihl/husky is going to advertise that a strato 50:1 chainsaw is more likely to wear out bearings or have piston scuffing than a non strato saw or one that is running 40:1 which they can not recommend because they cant meet emissions with that mix ratio.

You should try reading your own writing and apply it to yourself. You're doing a fantastic job of describing yourself. Your silence is deafening on how many of these you have been into. BTW, your not the only engineer in this conversation...not that it matters.

Thus speaketh the mighty Brad, king of what, tearing saws down and rebuilding saws? Exactly how many products have you designed that have gone into productions from the ground up? I do not have to dig into an engine to understand how they work. BTW: I have torn down, rebuilt and re-designed I do not now how many engines. It is in the hundreds. I have also worked in the failure analysis labs analyzing shiit down to the molecular level. Not that you know what that is or entails, nor will I bother trying to educate you here about it. No point. You know everything about everything already! Seemingly by just looking at things.

Again, I speak and repeat the Stihl line here because these saws actually work the way that they were designed it to. Hard as it is for you to actually fathom that. Which has me wondering why anyone would send you a 461 or a 661 with their hard earned money to hop one up. You obviously do not understand how they actually work! I also question your instance that pop-ups are better than squish cut, and that one ring is better then 2. You have continued to refuse to compare your saws 1:1 against other types of modified saws in dyno testing that would easily prove things one way or the other. But noooooooo! You are above empirical testing and analysis!

And yes, I am aware that there are other engineers here. At least one anyway. You are certainly not one of them.

The difference is in the transfers, and that is all you really have to do to make the effect work. Well, that and the intake side ramp to keep them from overheating and keep them lubricated. If you look at all the crap required to make a fresh air stratified saw work, this is a breakthough in engineering. It is subtle, but subtle can make a huge difference. Seemingly it is beyond anyone else here. My challenge would be to remove the ramp (the doohickey) from a stock saw and see how long they last before burning up. If they are the same as pre-EPA saws, as Brad claims, they should run forever w/o the ramp in there.
The emissions limits thus far are mainly intended to prevent puking raw fuel out the exhaust, which mainly comes from two sources: The scavenging losses inherent to 2-strokes, and the poor mixture control of the carbs which go rich enough to cause misfire with only a small increase in air velocity. On top of that there is an emission credit scheme, so not every saw must meet the same limits. It looks to me like addressing one of these main sources gets one pretty close, and there are many strato saws with conventional carbs.

The cooling kickup was always the best evidence that there was something to the claims of exhaust delayed scavenging, but the fact that they are putting fresh air strato systems on their high volume saws says it may not be enough across the product line. The purpose of delayed scavenging is simply to reduce the time that fuel is in the combustion chamber while the exhaust port is open, and I suspect that the exhaust delayed scavenging may create some delay, but shorter than that of a full fresh air strato system (this is indicated by the attached document which describes an attempt to model the transfer flow in a Husqvarna strato). It may be enough when combined with a feedback carb on some of their saws, given that the high volume units are now fresh air strato, often combined with a feedback carb. So you are correct that the effect is "subtle" - perhaps "minimal" would likely be a better term.

As for "all the crap required to make a fresh air stratified saw work" - a fresh air strato requires no moving parts. It is an elegant design. A separate air valve is not required, rather it is a performance enhancement that allows the strato function to be shut off at idle, and effectively gives variable intake port timing. Many newer Stihl and Husky saws use a carb with a split flow and single throttle plate (thanks to yet another Zenoah patent).

Last, a fresh air strato pulls cool air across the piston and down the transfers during intake, and then air and mix flows up the transfers as in a conventional engine. That is a much more appealing approach than pushing hot exhaust down the transfers. Also the gas that is used to delay the charge is going to be used in the next combustion, unlike exhaust which must be expelled.

Attachments

• MikaelMasterThesis.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 6
You me there,you must be an engineer as well? Judging by this thread and your continued babbling, you don't know either. Maybe you should read your own bs posts. Strato engines are more efficient, there is no reason to believe they get less lubrication. But you seem to have everything figured out. Just curious, how much time have you spent in a Stihl or husky tech school, tech update, or other factory sponsored courses???
Keep proving your ignorance.....

The emissions limits thus far are mainly intended to prevent puking raw fuel out the exhaust, which mainly comes from two sources: The scavenging losses inherent to 2-strokes, and the poor mixture control of the carbs which go rich enough to cause misfire with only a small increase in air velocity. On top of that there is an emission credit scheme, so not every saw must meet the same limits. It looks to me like addressing one of these main sources gets one pretty close, and there are many strato saws with conventional carbs.

The cooling kickup was always the best evidence that there was something to the claims of exhaust delayed scavenging, but the fact that they are putting fresh air strato systems on their high volume saws says it may not be enough across the product line. The purpose of delayed scavenging is simply to reduce the time that fuel is in the combustion chamber while the exhaust port is open, and I suspect that the exhaust delayed scavenging may create some delay, but shorter than that of a full fresh air strato system (this is indicated by the attached document which describes an attempt to model the transfer flow in a Husqvarna strato). It may be enough when combined with a feedback carb on some of their saws, given that the high volume units are now fresh air strato, often combined with a feedback carb. So you are correct that the effect is "subtle" - perhaps "minimal" would likely be a better term.

As for "all the crap required to make a fresh air stratified saw work" - a fresh air strato requires no moving parts. It is an elegant design. A separate air valve is not required, rather it is a performance enhancement that allows the strato function to be shut off at idle, and effectively gives variable intake port timing. Many newer Stihl and Husky saws use a carb with a split flow and single throttle plate (thanks to yet another Zenoah patent).

Last, a fresh air strato pulls cool air across the piston and down the transfers during intake, and then air and mix flows up the transfers as in a conventional engine. That is a much more appealing approach than pushing hot exhaust down the transfers. Also the gas that is used to delay the charge is going to be used in the next combustion, unlike exhaust which must be expelled.
The Zenoah based strato sytems as used by Husky is a thing of beauty. Stihl is playing catch up big time IMO.

Back