Winch Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just go buy a pto driven manure spreader, remove the beaters and put a small engine on the tongue to run it.. use the web to unload. they are heavy enough to haul a good load.

I think I saw a thread about that on here. Thats a good idea too.

Here is a link to a crappy video of the unload, before I doubled the line pull. You can hear the winch pulling pretty hard, and it's not a very big load. It works better now.

YouTube - Firewood trailer unloading

Steveguy,
I have a few questions,

can you post some pics of the winch inside the toolbox and how you have it set up to go under the trailer. I was wondering if you had it low enough to pull underneath or did you have to use a pulley up front to get the cable under the frame?

Are you using a stand alone battery ?

If you had to replace your current winch, would you go bigger next time?

Thanks,
Kevin

Steveguy,
I have a few questions,

can you post some pics of the winch inside the toolbox and how you have it set up to go under the trailer. I was wondering if you had it low enough to pull underneath or did you have to use a pulley up front to get the cable under the frame?

Are you using a stand alone battery ?

If you had to replace your current winch, would you go bigger next time?

Thanks,
Kevin

I mounted the winch plate at the bottom of the channel iron A-frame tongue, which is mounted under the main frame of the trailer, so the cable comes off the drum and goes under the trailer frame with little drag. If needed, you could use a roller fairlead to guide it. I run the cable above the axles on the way back, and I welded a receiver hitch under the rear of the trailer, that I slide my pulley mount into. After I added the pulley on the bulkhead and ran the cable back to the rear, doubling the line pull, I have plenty of power to unload. I would use the same size winch again. I also figured out just how much cable I needed and shortened it up, because every wrap on the drum reduces pull alot. There is still enough cable that I canwind up, and run it on top of the trailer to pull something onto the trailer bed if needed. The power winch has free wheeling release, so when I get done unloading, I reverse the winch to remove tension, release the freewheel, and crank the bulkhead to the front, then engage the big winch again and put a little tension on the cable. This makes sure you don't get slack and drag the cable.

Last edited:
I do use a stand alone battery mounted on the tongue, and a charging cable tied to the truck battery system to help keep the battery charged. I am pretty busy right now, but when I get a chance I will try to get more pics of the bulkhead and stuff, It isn't in the trailer right now cause I'm not wood hauling now.

Last edited:
I do use a stand alone battery mounted on the tongue, and a charging cable tied to the truck battery system to help keep the battery charged. I am pretty busy right now, but when I get a chance I will try to get more pics of the bulkhead and stuff, It isn't in the trailer right now cause I'm not wood hauling now.

Thanks, I would like as many pics that you can get me!
Kevin

Yeah, I don't have any better pics. but it really works well since I doubled the pull and used it more to get the hang of it, but when you are on level ground, you can leave the truck in neutral and as the pile builds up behind, it pushes the whole rig forward, making room to finish unloading. I did 10-15 loads with this one so far, and did probably 35 loads with the smaller trailer. It works, and is fairly cheap, plus I can remove the bulkhead when not in use.

Well? Lead the way kind Sir....I want/need the same thing.

Kevin

Thanks for the links Ted!
I decided to go with a Warn from streetside auto. First I made a portable hitch mount for it, and currently making a front hitch to go where the license plate goes.I am going to make a receiver tube for the plate to hide the receiver when not in use. Trailer work to follow soon.

IMG00032-20110506-1104.jpg

IMG00071-20110513-1649.jpg

IMG00073-20110513-1809.jpg

IMG00087-20110518-1746.jpg

winchmount.jpg

IMG00059-20110509-2235.jpg

IMG00098-20110519-0012.jpg

Looking good, Dont forget to "pre-strech" the cable. Unspool all but about 5 wraps, put a blanket or some type of wench weight on the line and pull it with the brakes on. The cable will make all kinds of noise and strech slightly. Then you can respool it under moderate tension.

Ted

Yeah, that's the plan this weekend if its not raining. I got trystar #2 welding cable and quick connects I have to put together and still got to buy a battery this weekend
I bought some solder slugs to make the connections.

Thanks for the links Ted!
I decided to go with a Warn from streetside auto. First I made a portable hitch mount for it, and currently making a front hitch to go where the license plate goes.I am going to make a receiver tube for the plate to hide the receiver when not in use. Trailer work to follow soon.

IMG00098-20110519-0012.jpg

Now go out and swamp the truck and tell us how it goes!!!!
My best winch out
S4020454.jpg

S4020459.jpg

Back