Wind

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Was a little gusty today, and I was taking down a big spreading Gingko.

One leaning spar out over the hous was realy whipping around till the top came out.

I was ready to call it quits several times.

So what are your personal limits for working sound trees in wind?

I typically tie in on a center fork about 2"-4" diameter. I can get away with this cause I'm only 160 lbs. But on windy days I can get jerked around a lot. When I'm getting tossed around so much that I can't comfortably cut or rig, I call it quits. Bigger trees I don't like working with winds over 20MPH or so.

For me it depends on what I am doing as to when I call it quits for the day. When I am working on a tree that is in the woods, that is low to the ground, or that has mostly wood to work on, I will wait for a while. If the tree I am working on is the biggest in the area, or where a lot of wind could screw me up really good really quickly I will back down. Of course when I back down from tree work for the day, we usually wind up doing something else.

The guidance we get is to call it a day above force 5 on the Beaufort scale (that's "19-24 mph - Small trees sway; crested wavelets on inland water"). I don't normally climb with wind speeds much above that - especially on something brittle, like willow or poplar. I have worked in higher windspeeds, in the past, when I worked for other people. There's often a lot of peer pressure to just get on with it, which is easy to fall for when you are just starting out. On a lot of trees, windy days are difficult, especially if you are anchored on one stem and working/secondary anchored on another. Those stems move like a tuning fork, together then away from each other, so first your lifeline gets slack, then it tries to pull you off the stem.

The worst one was this huge poplar, dbh 4-5', must have been 70' or so..and it was windy- it must have been over 30mph. There was no central stem, but lots of separate, twisting limbs, and I struggled up one of them. Once I'd got anchored in I managed to rig a branch and lowr that, but after being blown off the branch I was standing on, we had to call it a day. The most frightening thing was looking down. The stem I was on was not only swaying, but was twisting around it's axis. It must have been winding up 30 degrees one way, then the other.:eek:

With hindsight, and with more experience, I would never have even got the climbing gear out of the truck on that day, not for anyone. But, when you're starting out, you tend to (foolishly) assume that, if you've been told to do it then it must be safe - and no-one wants to look like a coward.

Depends on lots of variables
Wind speed.
If the wind is for you or against you.
Climbing height.
Tree's structural strength
Anchor point position and tree movement.
Can you hear the groundie( with chipper and chainsaws off).
Type off job.
Your expirence.
Your suseptability to peer, time or financial pressure.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Nickrosis
You took down a Gingko? I love those trees....

Nickrosis
Is that you in the pic ...you look so young.
I guess it was a case where the GINK had to GO.
Thats the sad thing about ARB you learn all about trees,get ot like them, then seem to spend to much time removing them.

It was a female Gingko on on a small city lot ( 49th and north. Right around the courner form McBob's famous burritos and Scottish pub) so 4 months out of the year the customer and neighbors yard smelled like vomit.

The local chineese people loved it though. They would come around and get a truckload of white pails full of fruit.

Rob, Nick is a college pup, but had the advantage growing up in a tree and lanscape family whose company has a very high rate of tenure.

Not to forget a fashion model for a Dad. "Everybody loves a Kahn's man!"

Ah, the females.... I had a different kind of childhood, that's for sure. I didn't realize that not everyone lived with a bazillion trees in their yard until I ventured beyond the row of lilacs. I didn't know that not everyone has people of color for neighbors, from first-generation immigrants from Africa, Asia, the Middle East, etc. until I went to the rest of Milwaukee (the most segregated city in the US). And I didn't realize how unique it was to grow with a tree business!

It's been great to hear from the employees all day and share in the dust and grease, then talk to my dad about his perspective. It's been cool...if you have kids, take them out on the job! Get them a saddle and hardhat like my dad did. You never know what could happen. (Well, I did a "pruning" job around the yard the first day I got a Felco...I should have had supervision before I hacked some of those things in places <i>other</i> than the branch collar) My dad tells people he looks forward to working for me someday. I look forward to working with him for as long as possible. Make it a family thing. Oh, I'm 19 and a sophomore.

LOL We take our 3 yr old with us on a regular basis although he Wont help us drag limbs he will Help the homeowner
do whatever they happen to be doing in the yard pull weeds spread mulch ect he's made a new friend every where we take him.
Why does it always seem that as soon as you have made your notch and stareted your back cut the wind always starts blowing the wrong way???

The wind can carry falling limbs to the side. If they go as far sideways as the vertical distance down to the ground, things are probably out of control.

I was deadwooding / stub flushing about 6 100 ft. White Pines today . The wind was gusty , about 30-40 . I didn't mind because I was on the trunk . It sounds cool when you hear the wind coming , look over and see the other trees moving knowing your tree is about to get run over .:cool:

Latest posts

Back