winter prep

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexrckid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
for winter storage, after draining the tank and running the saw dry, is it a good idea to put some oil into the cylinder. if so, how much and what kind of oil.....thanks.

alexrckid said:
for winter storage, after draining the tank and running the saw dry, is it a good idea to put some oil into the cylinder. if so, how much and what kind of oil.....thanks.

bit of 2-stroke oil or wd-40 will do fine...

What??

Store for winter? Winter is when cutting is the best. Less dirt to worry about, saw will run better/cooler, wood weighs less when you have to transport it, and you sweat less. I do almost all of my cutting in the winter.

How many others do/do not work in the winter?

1wildthing said:
Store for winter? Winter is when cutting is the best. Less dirt to worry about, saw will run better/cooler, wood weighs less when you have to transport it, and you sweat less. I do almost all of my cutting in the winter.

The thing with winter is that theres 0.5m-1m of snow which makes moving in woods troublesome, but yes, i still cut in winter..

1wildthing said:

I'm hearing ya. I rarely cut before first frost. Wait until the ground is frozen, grass is dormant. No bugs, undergrowth, SNAKES, poison ivy/oak, heat stroke, mud. You can wear thick clothes (poor man's PPE), decent gloves, heavy boots.

I guess it's the difference between firewood cutting and tree trimming seasons.

Latest posts

Back