Winter vs. Summer storage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Mesthene

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
In many parts of the country, gasoline formulations vary a lot according to the season. In the winter, our gas (in New England) is highly volatile to provide easy starting. In the summer, volatility is reduced to minimize hydrocarbon evaporative loss, thus reducing ground-level ozone.
If you wanted to store a year's worth of gasoline, should you:
Use winter gas because it is less volatile and will evaporate the least?
Use the most volatile summer gas so that some volatility remains a year later?

Of course, stabilizer would be added in either case.

If i HAD to store gas for year or so, i would definately grab winter grade since it just stores better... Another good idea when storing gas is to store big amounts which again improves its storing capapilities....

but i fail to see any reason why would you want to store gas for year...

blis said:
If i HAD to store gas for year or so, i would definately grab winter grade since it just stores better... Another good idea when storing gas is to store big amounts which again improves its storing capapilities....

but i fail to see any reason why would you want to store gas for year...

Stranded on a desert island with all your saws.

Jim Mesthene said:
In many parts of the country, gasoline formulations vary a lot according to the season. In the winter, our gas (in New England) is highly volatile to provide easy starting. In the summer, volatility is reduced to minimize hydrocarbon evaporative loss, thus reducing ground-level ozone.
Use the most volatile summer gas so that some volatility remains a year later?

Of course, stabilizer would be added in either case.

Yachters store large amounts of fuel in their tanks for extended periods of time, you might want to ask at a local marina. Volvo-Penta put out a notice to all dealers last year about fuel stratification and engine damage due to storage related warranty claims. See if you can dig in that direction for more info. Ruining a pair of $80K engines would motivate anybody to use the best procedure known.

my two Lincolns.

Jim Mesthene said:
Use the most volatile summer gas so that some volatility remains a year later? Of course, stabilizer would be added in either case.

Maybe it's because I live in Virginia and you live in New England, but I've never heard of this "more volatile" vs. "less volatile" gasoline issue. Are you referring to E-10 where they add ethanol as an anti-knock additive to replace the banned MTBE?

Whatever the case, according to the oil companies, gasoline should last a year with no stabilization, and considerably longer than that with stabilizers added. I've heard of aviation gas being stored in remote locations for years on end with no ill effects. I store 100 gal in my boat for up to 5 months with no problems, though I do add stabilizer.

If I wanted to store it for a year, I think I would just try to get some good fresh gas and be sure to almost completely fill whatever container I was storing it in (to avoid condensation buildup), add stabilizer, and not worry about it. YMMV. Good luck.

Depends on where you are in NE. If you're in Ma. or Ct. (Don't know about the other states) forget about your time frame. We now run E10 exclusively. According to the fuel companies, E10 will start to degrade in as little as 90 days. Some are saying much less time than that without stabilizer. If your tank is also vented to the atmosphere you are also subject to "phase separation". If you have more than 1/2 of 1% (1 pint in 25 gallons) of water mixed in then the eth & water will combine & separate out from the gas & settle to the bottom of the tank. What's left will be a few points lower on the octane scale as the eth is also used as an octane booster. Shaking will NOT recombine them.
Al

Latest posts

Back