Winterizing an 028

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyatt183728

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
About time to put up the backup saw until spring, wont be using it anymore. Was just curious if anyone could give me some tips for putting the thing up. I put fogging oil on the bar/chain, changed the spark plug, clean the air filter, and clean the saw up real nice. Also loosen the chain for less strain on the sprocket. Anything else I should do? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always been a debate on whether keeping fuel in a saw over a long period of non-use is a good thing or not.

Don't know what you prefer to do, but me, I empty the fuel tank and start the saw up and let it idle until it dies on it's own. And, I keep all my O P E in a temp. controlled storage area. No crazy temp. swings.

There's always been a debate on whether keeping fuel in a saw over a long period of non-use is a good thing or not.

Don't know what you prefer to do, but me, I empty the fuel tank and start the saw up and let it idle until it dies on it's own. And, I keep all my O P E in a temp. controlled storage area. No crazy temp. swings.

Yeah I forgot to mention that, I drain the fuel then let it idle. I put it back on choke and pull it after that to make sure its all gone.

if your saw sits indoors, there is no reason to do anything but make sure your last tank had fuel stabilizer in it. leave the fuel in tank even but i would dump it and fill with fresh before running if it sits anymore then 6 months with the fuels we have these days.

I run some canned fuel through carb when storing or not using regularly. Storing in constant temp good too.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Idk have you every tried starting a stihl that's out of gas with no primer bulb? I'm not the only one with the problem look around...

I drained my Ms 271 for storage (no primer) and when I filled it back up it took about 4-6 pulls more that usual. It has to draw the fuel back through all the lines so it does take awhile.

No matter what kind of fuel I use, I just don't trust it to sit in any of my O P E thru the winter. Stabilizer or not, it will begin to go bad at some point in time.

I'd rather have it go bad in my gas can vs. in any of my machines. I haven't had any issues with hard starting due to a machine sitting dry for a while. Hell, they're all are hard to start at times. Each machine seems to have it's own preferred starting ritual. Just about when I get to figuring them out, I get them mixed up from one machine to the other. :mad:

No matter what kind of fuel I use, I just don't trust it to sit in any of my O P E thru the winter. Stabilizer or not, it will begin to go bad at some point in time.

I'd rather have it go bad in my gas can vs. in any of my machines. I haven't had any issues with hard starting due to a machine sitting dry for a while. Hell, they're all are hard to start at times. Each machine seems to have it's own preferred starting ritual. Just about when I get to figuring them out, I get them mixed up from one machine to the other. :mad:

it begins to go bad 2 years later they claim but i won't run it after 6 months simply because of ****** fuels. i would just dump it and fill with fresh before running if it sat longer. it would probably start to varnish on it's 4th year but would still be liquid for a few years after that. i know alot of people and even the ones who hardly ever use saws use a saw enough to leave the fuel in the tank as long as it's stabilized. if your gonna store it for real long your ****ed either way, leave it in and varnish will take it, drain it and dry rot will instead.

it begins to go bad 2 years later they claim but i won't run it after 6 months simply because of ****** fuels. i would just dump it and fill with fresh before running if it sat longer. it would probably start to varnish on it's 4th year but would still be liquid for a few years after that. i know alot of people and even the ones who hardly ever use saws use a saw enough to leave the fuel in the tank as long as it's stabilized. if your gonna store it for real long your ****ed either way, leave it in and varnish will take it, drain it and dry rot will instead.

I hear what you are saying. And I do agree some.

I do what I've been used to doing over many years. For me, it's no big deal to drain the fuel tank when my O P E isn't being used. I've never had any dry rot issues to deal with.

What's important is to make all the options known, so those that ask can decide on their own.

All I know is the 028 that was shipped to me empty did not want to start when filled. It starts fine every other time. Run the 290 out of gas and u might as well grab a different saw to finish the job. I use my couple saws pretty much every season of the year and start them every month or so. I guess if i were storing for more than a winter I'd empty the tank but that seems short term to me.

I start saws every day that have not had fuel in them for months on end. 7 pulls is the average for a pop. My personal fleet is always drained and run dry with no issues at all. Here in Ontario regular 87 is good for about a month, Premium E free 90 days. Better safe than sorry. The sea of lawnmowers and Snowblowers that come in seasonly for fuel related issues pretty much validate the fact that fuel left in the unit will clog up the carb. I have had customers swear that they have used all manor of additive and yet the proof is in the carb bowl. I drain and run my saws out of fuel and have 0 issues and that is what we tell our commercial and homeowners bringing in equipment for such issues. My advice drain and store away.

The way ive gone is draining the fuel for winter. I dont like the idea of it being left in the saw. Ive got the saw cleaned up and all taken care of now, will be in its case until next spring. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

I've seen some of the fuel cans my friends use to keep fuel in. Some look like they are old as the hills and just as cruddy. Where you store your fuel cans can be just as bad as how dirty they are inside.

I keep telling one of my friends that it wouldn't hurt to clean the pour spout off once in a while. It's as dirty as can be. His reply is, that's what the fuel filters in his machines are for. :rolleyes:

I think that's crazy that 87 is good for a month I've never herd such a thing. Little old ladies don't use a tank of gas in a month.
It may sound crazy but its what I have been seeing for the last couple of years. Each season I am flooded with fuel related repairs. I have seen it first hand. And it is not all that hard to go through 5 liters of fuel in a month this season. 30 days then dump into the car or truck and get fresh.

I start saws every day that have not had fuel in them for months on end. 7 pulls is the average for a pop. My personal fleet is always drained and run dry with no issues at all. Here in Ontario regular 87 is good for about a month, Premium E free 90 days. Better safe than sorry. The sea of lawnmowers and Snowblowers that come in seasonly for fuel related issues pretty much validate the fact that fuel left in the unit will clog up the carb. I have had customers swear that they have used all manor of additive and yet the proof is in the carb bowl. I drain and run my saws out of fuel and have 0 issues and that is what we tell our commercial and homeowners bringing in equipment for such issues. My advice drain and store away.

the lawnmowers and slowblowers say nothing. a huge number of them spend the winter outdoors and are owned by dummies who don't know nothing about taking care of them so of course your gonna see many every year. way more lawnmowers and snow blowers then saws too. i get them every year too and they are never ones that sat since last season. they are always one that missed a season and sat to rot. people can do what they want but a saw indoors does not need it unless your gonna let them sit forever. i'm not saying it hurts, just that it's not needed for most saw hacks.

Back