WIP (Work in Progress)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermonster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's a couple pics of my wood piles and equipment. Got about 35 cords to process....:chainsaw: Just bought the MS361 and the 22 Ton this year. Gotta lotta work ahead of me....:givebeer:

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

Nice pics. Wish I had a set up like that. Given the contours of our property, I process all our wood in the dooryard.

BTW, was that a pine log I saw mixed in with your maples and other hardwood. There's a few members that'll give you H-E-double hockey sticks.

Personally, I mix in some well seasoned long dead pine. The old timers here say "burn it as it grows," noting that oak/white pine mixes are quite widespread. And the fast heat of the pine is a good complement to the slow burn of the oaks,

Thanks neighbor.
Nah, not pine. 99% maple. Couple white and yellow birch. That's two black cherry snags bucked up at the bottom of one of the piles.

Very awesome. Looks fun.
I've never seen a splitter in action, about how fast does it compress and retract?

X 2 on the pics - very nice!

I wish I had 35 cords to process! I'll have to start scouting around now that the bush roads have really started drying up around here. I almost bought a MS361 this weekend, but I don't have any wood to cut (yet) so I couldn't really justify it in my mind.

Get that maple split and dried fast as that stuff rots up quick. I too have gotten alot of maple, some back in january and I can already see its starting to deteriorate. Silver maple may be the worst.

Get that maple split and dried fast as that stuff rots up quick. I too have gotten alot of maple, some back in january and I can already see its starting to deteriorate. Silver maple may be the worst.

It's all under control. The Vermont red maple is in no danger of rotting for several years. Trust me. I've been cutting and burning firewood here for 35 years.:greenchainsaw:

Thanks neighbor.
Nah, not pine. 99% maple. Couple white and yellow birch. That's two black cherry snags bucked up at the bottom of one of the piles.

Here in New York state we have alot of maple as well. Occasionally you'll find an acer Rubrum ) "soft maple or red maple".
Can anyone tell me if this is a good burning wood? Does it have the same characteristics as the "hard or sugar" maple?

Thanks,
Bill

Finally got to see the pics. Thats all real nice straight easy to split stuff. Was that hauled in?

We have the same splitter and a couple 27 tons that are over 10 years old and have never failed. IMHO that 22 ton for a grand is the best deal out there.

It's all under control. The Vermont red maple is in no danger of rotting for several years. Trust me. I've been cutting and burning firewood here for 35 years.:greenchainsaw:

+1 Yep no worries with the maple. White birch on the other hand needs to be split asap as the bark is waterproof and holds water in. It will punk up in a hurry. Yellow not so bad, but I've gone back for maple I've dropped 2 years ago and it's just nice (where the barks falling off). :clap: I too wish I had 35 cord in my dooryard. :cheers:

PS: Bill, yep the soft maple is deffinately ok as firewood. Not as good as suger or rock, but better then white birch, say inbetween white and yellow birch

Last edited:
Red Maple

Here in New York state we have alot of maple as well. Occasionally you'll find an acer Rubrum ) "soft maple or red maple".
Can anyone tell me if this is a good burning wood? Does it have the same characteristics as the "hard or sugar" maple?

Thanks,
Bill

I burn a lot of the stuff. I'm quite satisfied, although it doesn't have the BTU content of red oak, sugar maple, or beech. Nice thing I've noticed about red maple is that it dires real quick once you get it split. There's some smaller pieces of the stuff I split in late March that I wouldn't hesitate to burn now if I needed to.

Soft maple really doesn't have much heat in it. I give mine all to my neighbor because its just not worth all the work. I'm a picky SOB tho, so thats just me. Its just as much work to cut a cord of oak as it is to cut a cord of soft maple........

Its not my first pic but in this area we have abundance of silver maple trees so like any area you live in you tend to burn what is most plentiful. Ash is too here and burns good but for some reason I stumbled onto a bunch of maple so I guess I'm going to keep it. BTU's might be lower but I know it provide heat.

I largely agree but do keep in mind that all seasoned wood has almost exactly the same btu content per pound. I burn a lot of wood considered not as good as oak.......because I sell the oak for profit....and burn the rest myself.

It all comes down to what you can get; this year looks like it is going to be a mixture of slab oak, logged oak (stuff I gotta pull out), maple and some red pine (I know! I know!). I harvest off my in-laws place, wives uncle and brother both each have about 35 arces of land (all wooded). They want some stuff cleared before others, so I take what they want me to take first.

I try to burn the soft wood at the start of the season, before temps get down low and we need long duration burn times (heck, it is 40F outside atm... inside the house is 60F, today I'd be burning pine if I knew it was going to stay 40F).

Tes

Hey vermonster, can you repost your pics? they for some reason have disappeared and I would like to see them

Latest posts

Back