Wiseco piston update from Baileys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah Phooey..... Real men shoot Blackpowder.....:)

picture.php

3 shot group at 100 yards.
picture.php

You guys and your light weight bullets.. My favorite rifle has to be my 1895 Marlin 45/70 government. Shoots a 425 grain bullet. It will knock a hole in a hog that looks like a fence post hole. It might not be the fastest out of the barrel..But it sure does have some whammy on the stopping end.
I picked up a Marlin 336 30/30 last week have not even got it dialed in.. I have to this week as we are going hoggin in South Carolina next weekend.

That group I posted is with 250 Barnes MZ and 120gr of loose T7 at around 2100 fps. Like Eric said, not fast, but man they pack a punch. Id say it would work well on some hog's. That gun also likes the 300gr Hornady's too.

You guys and your light weight bullets.. My favorite rifle has to be my 1895 Marlin 45/70 government. Shoots a 425 grain bullet. It will knock a hole in a hog that looks like a fence post hole. It might not be the fastest out of the barrel..But it sure does have some whammy on the stopping end.

They certainly have some grunt those things. Two guys in our gun club bought 45/70's. Both ended up selling them cause they're really only good for tough animals at closer ranges and cost a bit to run. We don't have any game like that needs a calibre that powerful where I am. We have long ranges (as a rule) and easy to kill animals :)
Northern Australia where there are Asiatic Buffalo with more wild pigs and the .45/70 would be perfect :cheers:

P.S. I like them ;)

Here's what I love about it. A .243 can shoot a 55-58 grain bullet with the same velocity and trajectory a 22-.250 or 220 Swift can a 40 gr bullet. Then if you can throw different ammo in it and go for larger game like antelope, etc. Doesn't get much more versitle than that.

If i had to just keep one gun it would definitely be my .243. We do a lot of coyote hunting and i use reloads consisting of 43 grains of H-380 and 58 grain V-Max bullets, very fast, accurate, and deadly.

Here's what I love about it. A .243 can shoot a 55-58 grain bullet with the same velocity and trajectory a 22-.250 or 220 Swift can a 40 gr bullet. Then if you can throw different ammo in it and go for larger game like antelope, etc. Doesn't get much more versitle than that.

Almost, but not quite. Hard to win a drag race with a 22-250.

22-250 REM

40 GR. NOS BT IMR IMR 8208 39.0 4336 63,500 PSI

243 WIN

55 GR. NOS BT Hodgdon H4895 44.5 4058 49,300 CUP

But if you intend to kill anything bigger than a woodchuck then the 243 is one of the best all around chamberings!!!

A hot .22 is in my future, it will be chambered for this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

40 Sierra BlitzKing H322 32.9 MAX Rem 7.5 Lapua 6BR .196 4100

The 22BR will shoot at 95% of the velocity of the 22-250 but do it using only 84% of the powder. A more efficient cartridge with less recoil.

Nice looking bullet design. How expensive is a barrel to chamber a rifle for it?

finally something worth reading about in this thread.

I shoot a couple of rifles chambered in 6BR..... a good alternative to a .243 if you handload.

One is my match rifle, Barnard action, Mastin stock and a 31" long 1 in 8 twist Brux barrel. Phoenix rear sight and a Stallings Machine 30mm front. Runs 2920 FPS wiht the 107 Sierra match king. 31 gr of RL15. I've got a switch barrel set up for this rig in 6.5X55 Swede for any long range or dedicated 1000 yd use, but I've never screwed it on yet.

Any of you fella's shoot any long range matches?

The other is a Winchester m70 short action, H&S stock, I spun up a Bartlein 1 in 8 twist barrel for it. 24" long and I run a SAS 30cal suppressor on the end. (sounds like shooting a 22LR.) A friend of mine sold me a couple of Schmidt&Bender PMll 5-25 X56 scopes at a pretty reasonable price so I put one on this rig.

I've fit up a lot of barrels for people from Texas to Washington. Do a fair share of 6.5X47 Lapua's, .223AI, 6BR, 6X47 Lapua, .308, .260 and .338 Lapua mag are the most popular.

Some of the most fun I have is when I go to western Nebraska for the FCSA (fifty cal shooters assn.) matches out there. The fella's that run the range are big into black powder cartrage rifles, so with a little luck on fridays before our match we get to have some fun time. Shooting the 45-70 at a steel gong 800 yds away is a blast. Takes a little over 3 seconds for the bullet to hit it and see the splat in the spotting scope.

Nice looking bullet design. How expensive is a barrel to chamber a rifle for it?

Most premium quality barrels will run $265-$320 depending on who's. Large contours add to cost, extra length adds also. Budget yourself $300 I like cut rifled barrels for several reasons.

Trueing an action, depending on what action it is, who's doing the work and how they do it will run $100-$200, elective by you, but when you see how far out of square some of these factory production actions are you'll wonder why some shoot as good as they do. It's a lot of work and special tooling to get the tennion threads square and concentric to the bolt bore and get the locking ring square to the bore, then cut the locking lugs and bolt face square to the bolt body.

Chambering and fitting a barrel is $150-$300 depending on who and what else is getting done. For example it takes time to cut threads for a muzzle brake or suppressor and can add $50 from certain smiths.

All of this is dependent on your final goal with the rifle. I've shot my share of $400 Savages and $4000 custom rifles. Won matches with both, and not shot so well with both.

That model 70 you have, a pre64 model? I had a later model 70, the one everyone screamed was no good, had to get that pre64 one. Ha, it was a 270 and that thing shot GREAT. Best handling deer rifle I ever owned. Anytime the trigger was pulled something died. Very accurate gun that thing was. That one got 60 grains of IMR4831, a Speer 130 grain spitzer hunting round, a Federal primer. That gun loved that load and I never found Speer to be all that great but that gun loved them.

Jack O'Connor, late Sports Afield writer, swore by the Model 70 in 270. He felt it was the best all around hunting gun in the world..

Funny you say that Tom. I have a Pre-'64 model 70 myself, and it just so happens that it is chambered for .270WIN...great minds think alike...:cheers:

Mine's a post '64 classic, .270, left hand.

I'm a lefty but love my winchesters and claw extracters so it had eo be a "classic" model. There were a few lefties made and a little harder to come by but available.

I gotta little plastic gun for that myself.

attachment.php

That's a .40 cal in my pic

I've seen some testing results between the .40 and .45 and it appears the .40 is as good as the .45, but it was really too close to call. I've been wanting a nice Sig 1911 in .45:cheers:

A little plastic myself....also in .40S&W

attachment.php

...or some stainless and aluminum if you prefer...357SIG:clap:

attachment.php

And this neat piece from the the former Soviet Union

attachment.php

Mine's a post '64 classic, .270, left hand.

I'm a lefty but love my winchesters and claw extracters so it had eo be a "classic" model. There were a few lefties made and a little harder to come by but available.

My brother is cross dominant(right handed-left eyed) and shoots left handed.

He just picked up a Rem.700BDL 30-'06 for a killer deal. I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it for him and he loves it!

382402522.jpg

from left to right. 55gr .223, 45 acp,.357, 45 LC, 200 gr SST,380gr 45/70LE, 426 gr 45/70, 425 gr .458, 380 gr .458

I love my Marlin 1895 45-70. . . Though I'd prefer a 45-110 or 45-120 to get more reach. I also shoot a .444 Marlin -- it's a New England Arms cheapy that was originally chambered in .44 Mag. My dad bought it for my birthday one year, it's their $99 single shot break open. The barrel had enough meat, so dad had a local smith re-chamber it in .444. For the cheap cost, it's a very accurate rifle.

I also like my .338 Win Mag. . . It's a Kimber with a original Mauser 98 action. It'll hold a minute of angle at 200 fairly easy, and knock down anything we grow up in NW Montana.

All the 1,000 yd. guys here got away from 30 cal years ago, and only shoot wildcat 6mm now. One fella I know holds 6 world Records.

If you research it, my neck of the woods has some of the most renown gun smiths and manufacturers in the world. . . As well as some renown fletchers', bowyers', and archers'.

I had a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70 that I had pushed out to 45-90 and intended to shoot black in it, but between not having any place convenient to shoot long range and the tedious process of loading black powder cartridges and cleaning the rifle afterwards, I gave that up and sold it. I had a Smith ladder site on it.

Ian

I had a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70 that I had pushed out to 45-90 and intended to shoot black in it, but between not having any place convenient to shoot long range and the tedious process of loading black powder cartridges and cleaning the rifle afterwards, I gave that up and sold it. I had a Smith ladder site on it.

Ian

I've shot black in the Marlin. . . Tedious is an understatement. Corrosive stuff that it is, it was still fun to shoot.

It wants to push for recoil, instead of kick.

Me and my older bro were dads reloading guinea pigs. He'd load some hot and some medium and some low. . . Then he wouldn't tell us which was which. It was a big ol surprise when you chambered a hot one. :rolleyes:

Dad would laugh his ass off.

Tom, that's a semi-jacketed hollow point. The middle cartridge in this pic is a wad cutter. It's designed to cut nice scoreable holes in paper targets. I reloaded for 10 years or so before jumping hobbies again. --Ian

180px-Wadcuttercomp.jpg

That proves I haven't fooled with guns in 25-30 years, your 100% right. Its been a long time, getting my bullets mixed up, my terms mixed up. I used to know my bullets but clearly not anymore. Semi hollow point, not wadcutter, thanks man,:clap::clap::clap:

Back