Won my bet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thursday I noted that the gas price had been stabil at $1.75 for over a week with no change. I bet on it rising so called the oil man to fill my tank. He filled it yesterday 178/gal at $2.20/gal. Gas prices rose almost a dime Friday. Dunno about today.

Heating with wood pays off. Last time I filled was 2007. Wasn't due to fill again but wife became disabled in 2009 and started playing with the thermostat not knowing how to set it. Last couple years I would come home and find the furnace on and temps around 90 in the house.

Sticker shock at the $425 bill with taxes. How in he world does tha average joe with just one paycheck aford to heat a house when normal is to fill he tank twice per season up here?

Harry Kl

Harry, that's why I burn wood. Single income, bill was 500-600 every other month first winter I owned my house, second winter I was burning wood.

I hear ya Harry! Had my fuel oil tank topped off for the first time in two years because I was leaving town with the brothers and friends for our annual grouse hunting trip. Wife gets a break from the woodburner and cranks the fuel oil up. I think I paid 2.25 a gallon and last time it was well over 3.65 if I remember right. Looks like the prices are going up again though. The wood fuel price is still the same for me though!

I have a 270 gallon tank I keep for equipment. It got down to the last 50 gallons last Monday. Refill guy showed up Tuesday morning. 200 gallons @ $2.20. Looks like I got it just in time.

Yea I just filled my 300 gallon or 350, can't remember, I burn wood so I really don't pay much attention to the fuel situation in my house. I think we paid under $2.20, and that should last for a while, we still use oil for hot water and when it drops down into the lower teens at night.

I put 50 gallons of diesel in my tank 5 gallons at a time this summer when there was a spare 20$ left from a paycheck to do it. The stove keeps the house around 65 so I only run the furnace about once a day or when its really cold out. Layed off bricklayer on unemployment with my ol lady in school all day. Only reason theres food on the table is cause I rent two rooms out to friends. If I had to heat with just oil I dont no how id do it.

I put 50 gallons of diesel in my tank 5 gallons at a time this summer when there was a spare 20$ left from a paycheck to do it. The stove keeps the house around 65 so I only run the furnace about once a day or when its really cold out. Layed off bricklayer on unemployment with my ol lady in school all day. Only reason theres food on the table is cause I rent two rooms out to friends. If I had to heat with just oil I dont no how id do it.

Man, do some more research on those Russian masonry heaters. Maybe you could establish your own business custom building those for people. There's tons of vids on youtube, etc plus I have seen some references to workshops you can attend.

Latest posts

Back