Coworkers, and the "free wood heat" theory.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is why I don't scrounge, between gas for my truck, wear and tear and time spent to bring home about $40 worth of wood I'm better off getting a truckload of logs dropped off on my property.

I totally agree with you. Most of my scrounge sources are usually nearby. If I have to drive any kind of distance, that right there is a deal breaker. 20 Minutes at max from my house, TOPS, to make it worth my while.

That is why I don't scrounge, between gas for my truck, wear and tear and time spent to bring home about $40 worth of wood I'm better off getting a truckload of logs dropped off on my property.

Most of my scrounging happens within a mile or two of my drive home from work. Best I've had was a tree service taking down an oak next to the parking lot at my job and two guys even helped me load the truck so they didn't have to take it to the dump. I did get about 6 truck loads from a guy in town a couple years ago that was five miles away - mostly ash and he wanted to get rid of it so bad that he bucked a fair amount of it himself.

People are amazed when I tell them I heat 100% with wood. I usually let them know that it's a lot of work heating with wood so it's not for everyone.

My fellow students first called me crazy because I was putting a lot of effort in getting firewood, and they laughed when I had 10+ cords laying in front of the house. 'Just order oil' they said. When I told them that we save around €2000 each year by using wood (fuels and chains payed), they called me cheap. They don't realize that the €2000 is the labour and all the equipment that needs to be bought.
But yes, using wood is cheaper for us and I prefer the heat of the insert instead of the radiator. Some people just can't accept other ways of living and prefer to sit on the couch the whole day and complain about people who spend their time usefully.

Back