Wondering if anyone knows some good Arborist training schools?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longinus

Reaction score
I have been debating for a few years now whether or not to add Tree Service to my lawn care and Property Service stuff, and all the tree damage this winter has got me thinking that this would be the year to get off the pot, if I'm ever going to. I mean I have done easy stuff for lawn customers you know mainly low to the ground pruning, and some light felling, where I can hurt anything, but I would kind of like to get to the bigger more glorified stuff. OK I'm fricken getting bored with Grass and Snow, and I want a new Challenge.

I have a brief window between Snow and Grass, and would like to get some more advanced knowledge and practice in so I don't kill myself. Again this is just something I want to gradually delve into. What is the best method to do this? I won;t have time to work for anyone else I'm pretty busy, so I was looking for Actual Schools somewhere near Upstate NY, but I'm not finding anything. Their are a ton of online schools anyone think they are worth anything or would I be better off just reading, and practicing?

I read your post and still have to say to you this " Find someone who is very good and does this for a living" Then do what ever it takes to learn from them, part time training and maybe you can be his groundman to pay for his time teaching you while some jobs are being done. THERE IS NOTHING I MEAN NOTHING LIKE THE REAL THING FOR LEARNING! Take that serious especially in THIS business. Do what ever you can to be trained on the job and experience it while being supervised closely! PERIOD or else you are risking too much you wouldnt even know you are doing something very wrong with unforgivable results. Also become an ARBORIST study and take the test, if you fail, and alot of people do, dont quit, keep studying and take it again while it's all fresh in your head repeat if fail again. Read and involve yourself in anything you can. After 28 years being in the business I am still and always will be learning! Be safe!

Paul Smith's College is the only one i know for sure actually has a climbing/training program, which includes classwork and actual time climbing, and ends in an associate's degree. That program would prepare you very well for the ISA exam, and for starting out climbing for a living. Having the basics down first (knots, basic techniques, etc) will make learning on the job much easier/faster. Also, any forestry program will help you learn tree ID and basic biology.

Latest posts

Back