Wood chips/pulp stuck in my bar. Now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got a bunch of wood stuck in the tip of my bar. It's a 372xp with a 24 bar.
The roller is stuck now and won't budge. What's the best way to get it out or is the bar trashed?

With the chain on push the bottom of the bar into a stump or something to get the chain moving usually releases junk stuck in the bar.Hope this helps.

The roller is stuck now and won't budge. What's the best way to get it out or is the bar trashed?

Take the side cover loose, slack off the chain with the chain adjuster, pull the chain off of the tip of the bar, pick the pieces out, turn the tip sprocket by hand to make sure it's loose....put everything back together again.

+1

With the chain on push the bottom of the bar into a stump or something to get the chain moving usually releases junk stuck in the bar.Hope this helps.

+1..that's what I do.....but if it's REALLY stuck then spray lots of WD-40 in and around the sproket with chain off......then put the chain back on the saw and bar and then try the above statement by kevlar...... Or of it is un-budgeable then just replace the sproket tip if it's a replacible sproket tip bar.....:greenchainsaw:

coke tab? Ever heard of a bar groove cleaner/depth gauge tool? go to Bailey's site........They're about $4. We use them daily.

Soak that bar tip in gas/oil, or spray lube , soap, anything, to wash out the gunk...then keep your bars clean.

I had this happen the other day...

The roller is stuck now and won't budge. What's the best way to get it out or is the bar trashed?[/QUOTE

Does anyone have this happen a lot with tulip poplar? I cut a recently dead Tulip Poplar up 16" and it jammed my Husky 51 twice. The tree had recently blown over and the bark seemed clean.

I notice the tendency for sprocket tip buildup, if my chain is a little loose, or I'm not keeping full revs on a cut where the bar is buried.

I jammed my bar tip once also I think the guy means its really jammed solid because when mine jammed It was seized solid.

it only happened once and it was when cutting a dead tree so I think that may be the problem or maybe my technique but what I did was take the bar off the saw put it in a vice and gently tap the sprocket tip with a screw driver and a hammer to get the sprocket to turn, when I got about half a turn out of it a few chunks fell out and a couple turns later it was turning freely.

don't junk the bar unless you want to send it to me I will pay shipping!

on the echo my tip has jamed lightly enough to use the stump roll trick several times.
at least twice, the bar tip stopped. -stopped-.
take chain off and see rails slighlty spread from the jam. at this point i break out the little carb screwdriver that came with the echo and start digging and turning the tip. usually takes 20-30 mins. pita. echo bar has the grease holes at the tip. occasionally i squirt a spray white lithium grease in to the holes. lubes good, and not gunky enough to build up with sawdust and restart cycle.

side note: my stihl bars have no oil holes at the tip. they have yet to sieze up on me. coincidence?

coke tab? Ever heard of a bar groove cleaner/depth gauge tool? go to Bailey's site........They're about $4. We use them daily. .....

Not very good as a raker guide, but very handy for cleaning bar rails.....:)

It usually does......

......just once I had to put a steel rod across the rails, and force the sprocket tips to move, to free it up.

Last edited:
take of bar, put back upside down, try the trick with the stump, soak, spray etc

sometimes stuck in one direction will only get loose in the other...

my 2c

:monkey:

I put one in on my 026.

"side note: my stihl bars have no oil holes at the tip. they have yet to sieze up on me. coincidence?"

I put a tiny hole in the lower quadrant of the bar tip with...oh I guess a one-64th bit.
Stopped as soon as I got through and so the hole is less than the 64th diameter.

Greased it with the plunger gun. Seems to work good.
Strange that they'll sieze when greased; although mine never has.
I imagine if it's the right wood, and the right bar temp, it'll gunk up alright.
Sappy wood esp.
-br

bolton......consensus is, you'd be better off not greasing bartips. I've not done it for 25 years....no need, plenty of oil gets there.

Yep, its trashed. :)

I'm pretty sure you have trashed the bar and the saw. You better send it to me to take care of. :greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back