Wood cutting with your dad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys, I know this is off topic.

Spend all the time you can with your dad while you can. Mine died pretty suddenly the other night. Still a pile of freshly split firewood in the backyard, and the grass is still nice under it.

Just a bit shaken up now
So sorry to hear of your loss:(, My dad will be 80 this month, I will take your advice and go see him this weekend...

Sorry for your loss, you will be in our thoughts as well. Could not and do not want to imagine what it will be like when my father passes. He is still relatively young at 56, and I hope to have him around for a little while longer. He is supposed to help me sometime this weekend in cleaning out the gear box of a tiller. I could probably do it myself, but its been awhile since I worked on any projects with him. Hope the turbulence settles down quickly.

Walked in those shoes 11 years ago. I still miss him.

Regards to you and your family.

Tim, I am very sorry for your loss. Prayers sent for you and your family.

Don't know how soon that will hit home here...my dad turns 93 in june.

Just lost my only brother last month to cancer.

Honor his memory by using what he taught you, and teaching others from his knowledge.

Kevin

Sorry to hear it. I'm going to miss mine when he's gone. Going to try to spend a little extra time with him this summer. Not that he's at any risk of anything, it's just been a long time since I've been able to.

Sorry to hear of your loss. My grandfather who I share my birthday with passed three weeks ago. In two weeks, on the 26th, Ill celebrate my 30th and It'll be a little hollow without my gramps. Prays go out to you and your family.

To answer you Brad, he was 83. In good health until the other day. He took NO medication even. He got bronchitis. All of the coughing led to an erratic rhythm in his heart. They worried about blood clotting, so they gave him blood thinners. They didn't know that he had ruptured vessles in his abdomen from coughing. He started bleeding internally, and they never were able to stop it.

I fired up his MS 180 today, and cleaned up a branch that had blown down this winter. Looks like I'm in for alot of long trips. Just don't see how my mom can maintain 10 acres and the house.

To answer you Brad, he was 83. In good health until the other day. He took NO medication even. He got bronchitis. All of the coughing led to an erratic rhythm in his heart. They worried about blood clotting, so they gave him blood thinners. They didn't know that he had ruptured vessles in his abdomen from coughing. He started bleeding internally, and they never were able to stop it.

I fired up his MS 180 today, and cleaned up a branch that had blown down this winter. Looks like I'm in for alot of long trips. Just don't see how my mom can maintain 10 acres and the house.

Both a blessing and a curse. Your Dad enjoyed great health right to the end, but took you by surprise when he left. What city is your Mom in? Maybe some of us here could be on standby in times of need.

My dad passed in February after a long bout with cancer. SOme of my fondest memories are when we would go cut the winter's wood for granny. Usually had an uncle or two, and the odd cousin along as well. Dad would swing that Mac 2-10 like a Japanese chef wields a Ginsu knife, and with the same dexterity and efficiency. Of course I'd be pulling branches and feeding poles to be cut to size. Made a pretty good team, and always had the biggest pile out of all of em.
I'm sure you have similar memories-- hold them close, and pops will never be far away.

Latest posts

Back