Wood fire in this cold snap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nice Maple fire in the WoodStove to add some wood heat to my house.....Love the feel of wood heat. Wife, cats and dog like it too.
This morning we had a high of 11 F, a NW wind, and going down to zero or a few below tonight. The stove brought the lower level of the house from 66 F to 71 F in two hours:

My dog, Lady, loves the stove. Flat coat retrievers are fabulous pets and at age 13.6 years, she's still making it.

I'm burning red oak these days. The flue gas temp on the Federal Airtight 288 had reached 1400 F when this Pic was taken. That's about peak. Oh, and right after this Pic was taken, somebody called for a firewood delivery -- desperate and willing to accept anything I have that burns, even moist cottonwood.

Was 3F when I woke up at 3:00AM and got out of bed this morning. A whole 69F in the coldest room of the house at that time. Went down at 4:30 to put more wood in the furnace and it was sill half full. Still loaded it up and opened it up so it would warm to 75.

Talk about likeing heat, that was my POP he was in his mid 70's then. He had a Ashley wood burner in the corner of a 20x20 very well insulated room. He had his recliner about 5 feet away and would be sitting in that recliner wearing long johns, insulated Jeans and a insulated flannel shirt. We would go to visit walk in the house and about pass out from the heat. Mom always kept the door between that room and the rest of the house closed except on the coldest days and during the night when dad was not awake to keep shoveing the wood to it like a old time steam engine. I have seen the inside temp gauge on the wall in dads room at 110F and him drinking scalding hot coffee. Iwas buying 10 full coard loads of wood then just one every summer. Dads house was 400 sq feet smaller and he was buring 20 of those cords of wood during a winter.

:D Al

That was my dad!!!!!

An Ashley stove out on the porch and he would get that thing RIPPING.

Many times my mom would start squallering at him to start a fire in the fireplace to cool the house down. lol

Especially if company was over.....Dad didn't want anyone uncomfortable aaaaaaaaand Mom didn't want anyone passing out.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunate) I have inherited that trait.

Whenever I go to deer camp I can't leave well enough alone with the stove. I would bust my but to get everything unloaded then haul A*s to get the stove fired.

Now my friends understand me enough that my only job is to get the cabin fired up so Vegas strippers would be comfy.

Im laughing as I'm typing because I just can't leave well enough alone....lmao

It's like I'm obsessed with keeping a roaring fire in the stove.

This morning we had a high of 11 F, a NW wind, and going down to zero or a few below tonight. The stove brought the lower level of the house from 66 F to 71 F in two hours:

My dog, Lady, loves the stove. Flat coat retrievers are fabulous pets and at age 13.6 years, she's still making it.

I'm burning red oak these days. The flue gas temp on the Federal Airtight 288 had reached 1400 F when this Pic was taken. That's about peak. Oh, and right after this Pic was taken, somebody called for a firewood delivery -- desperate and willing to accept anything I have that burns, even moist cottonwood.
Nice and cozy looking there. Wood fires are great, wether you're heating your house or just using it for a warm up or ambiance.

Our "cold snap" starts tonight...
It's 17° right now (6:00 PM) and droppin' like a rock on the way to -1° by morning with high temperature tomorrow of 2° with 15-20 MPH winds.
But that's the warm part :confused:... Sunday morning is supposed to be around -20°, with a balmy high of -12° and no let-up of the wind.
Monday looks to be more of the same, except we might (and I emphasize "might") get to 0° for a high.

Some sources are sayin' closer to -30° for Sunday morning (I'll believe it when I see it)... but if it does get that cold my plan is to bump the thermostat up a notch or two just long enough so I can say I'm a member of the 100° club :D

I will say, when it drops that far below zero and stays there for 2-3 days my furnace will be workin'... surely be loading it three, if not four times a day this weekend.

That certainly does look cozy. My next house.........

We are supose to drop onto the teens tomorrow night. I can't agree more, wood heat is the best heat. I would load the boiler 5 times a day as long as I don't have to call the propane guy.

We are supose to drop onto the teens tomorrow night. I can't agree more, wood heat is the best heat. I would load the boiler 5 times a day as long as I don't have to call the propane guy.
Drop only into the teens? Single digits but below zero here with -23 F wind chill. Please send that warm front in Michigan southwest in my direction. TIA.

I think even Lady, my flat coat retriever (Pic shown above) would like that. I know I would.

Bust a hole in the ice an go swimming ! an poop in the woods! cake eating around a hot fire is a Donald dream for most ,I get the best rewards in hard nature

Weather really screwy here. Been in the high teens low twentys all week. Rain yesterday morning temps 34*. temps in low 50's last nite and yesterday evening. Clear as a bell this morning, house temps about 78* and I'm sweating. Calling for possible 2in of snow tonite and temps back to around 13* Monday nite. How in the heck do you keep a fire regulated with those types of temps swings. Gotta reload the basement with wood and prepare to burnup and freeze all next week.

I know when I get the fire going just right when I open the door, coming in from getting wood, and my glasses fog up immediately.

We are expecting a foot or more of lake effect off Erie tonight and next few days high of 12 in the day . I brought several days worth of wood into the basement to prepare . Winter is finally upon us

It's 5*f outside at the moment.
72* in the house.
Before I got serious about heating with wood, I was burning about 1,500 gallons of Propane a year.
Now, using the fireplace whenever I'm home, we burn around 400-500 gallons a year. Our stove and water heater (75 gallon) are propane as well.
The monetary savings are nice but there's a certain satisfaction associated with supplying your own heat.
The Pup likes it as well.

image.jpg

20160119_171517.jpg Wife and i stacked a cord in t-shirts on sat...now its 20 with crazy wind and the weathetman say were gettin a noreaster from a storm stiil in the pacific...they just need to crowbar the s word.nno worries the fireview is cranckin

Latest posts

Back