Wood flying out of the splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkcloud

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My post about " what is this tool" got sidetracked somewhat.. But it got me to wondering.. I have used home made and I have used store bought hyd splitters for years.. Both will on occasion will get that special chunk of stubborn wood and when it decides to split .. It goes a flying .. I've had them launch 6-8 feet .. One flew out side ways the other day and hit me right in the stomach .. But.. One fellow posted that if you have a properly made wedge .. Non of this will happen.. I don't believe it.. Your thoughts..

I have split wood all my life. (With a maul ) and sometimes that special piece blows off the side with no real ryme or reason other then it has that kind of internal stress and week spots.

I almost always split in the vertical position on my splitter. I have had numerous pieces fly out over the years. One though came out under so much pressure it hit the piece of oak I always sit on so hard it left a dent in it. To be honest I didn't even look down for a few seconds just sat there and waited to for any sort of pain coming from my jewels o_O

My son runs my 5 ton splitter, right after he started he learned not too sit too close. A flying split got him in the shins

When I built my splitter I was given a used PTO pump so I could run it off off of my tractor. Well One of the seals on the pump was bad and it was sucking air. It just happened to be the year I had some 3foot diameter Ash to split. It would throw them 6-10 feet every time. I eventually gave up on that big stuff. I backed the trailer right up to the splitter and it would load the trailer for me. That was the last year I brought home that Big stuff home. I changed that seal and haven't had problem since.

We just split ash the last 2 weekend's. Pieces flew 10 foot plus. Our splitter edge is identical to the second picture above

I've had quite a few pieces fly over the past 25 years. Usually for me it's when the two ends of a chunk are not cut parallel. When the pressure is on.....especially if it's been wet out is when it's most likely to happen. It slides up the wedge. I have 'tits' welded on the ram end that keeps it from slipping on that end....and also imprints a unique signature on the end of each piece of split wood.

Let me say this, I've never seen a professional grade splitter with a wide wedge like in the second picture above. I've also never seen splits fly off being split with a thin blade wedge like in the first picture. Coincidence? I dont think so.

I agree that is a very fast/ wide wedge. I have had mine build up the whole 27 tons seems like then "POP" it jumps the crap out of anyone not understanding what is about to happen. I however have never had any piece of wood fly off the splitter and doubt I ever will.

How do you split wood with this without tearing your jack up?
wedge2-jpg.462628

I've never had a chunk pop out with the Super Split - there's just not enough pressure to do that. It's a different kind of energy. I think it's much safer (not to mention so much faster).
This participant of the idjit brigade has walked with a painful gate for a few days after being hit in the goolies while using his SS, as well as losing a finger-tip (but not in the situation many would expect) while operating his SS.

There are always those of us who could crack an axe with a nut if we put our amoebic minds to it.

Latest posts

Back