Wood flying out of the splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a little electric 4 ton that will launch wood pretty far but my 22 ton gasser never has launched wood before. Its a champion splitter.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

All it takes is a chunk sliding up or off the wedge/push plate or the toe plate depending on configuration. Sometimes even with stickers or something to make a grabing surface on the plates. Split enough wood it will happen soon or later. Beech is notorious for resisting and then just letting go as are some others.

I was going to write and ask if this happens more with dry vs green or warm vs. frozen wood and yesterday I was splitting some hard maple that sat in log form for a few years and that bugger popped and one side went flying so it can happen. I have a 35 ton that is known to kick out the smaller rounds of dry ash that get stuck between the side rails on the bed.

I will say that a tree that grew under stress like leaning will open up big time when on a saw mill. I had that happen a few times last lumber sawing session. I asked the guy why that board was opening up so wide as the blade passed through the tree. He told me that trees growing under stress will kind of banana peal open as soon as the individual boards are released from the Kant. Maybe a round in similar situation will do the same thing ?

I have the wide triangular wedge like the one you guys are boo-hooing. I move about 100 full cords of wood a year and have never had one jump.
I think it has more to do with the design of the splitter than the wedge. If your moving the knife in to the block, you will get jumpers. If you move the wood in to the knife, you won't.
Just my observations, no government funded study was done on this on my part.

Ted

I have a 27 ton and I have learned that the splits will pop when there were limbs/crotches on the logs.

Mine moves the wood into the wedge.. And it throws them...

That top pic is almost exactly what the knife on my processor looks like.

I have had pieces fly out a couple times. The other day one blew out. A split hit me right in the teeth, another busted off the tailight on the fender on the other side, and the rest flew several feet up the conveyor.

You need to get out more. Do you think this will "pop" a split?
View attachment 462625
How about this one?
View attachment 462628

That top pic is almost exactly what the knife on my processor looks like.

I have had pieces fly out a couple times. The other day one blew out. A split hit me right in the teeth, another busted off the tailight on the fender on the other side, and the rest flew several feet up the conveyor.
Were gonna have to start splitting with helmets on lol.

Frozen wood is a pain. The logs are slippery/don't feed well, cuts much harder, and splitting is a pain too. Couldn't split a few pieces in the last few days, maxed out the splitter.. I went all summer and fall without that problem!

Frozen wood is a pain. The logs are slippery/don't feed well, cuts much harder, and splitting is a pain too. Couldn't split a few pieces in the last few days, maxed out the splitter.. I went all summer and fall without that problem!
Everythng is a pain when frozen or snowy. For some stupid reason i always get the itch to cut my wood in jan. When we got two feet of snow and -30 c. Struggle to get to bush with atv. Struggle with saw in bush. Too cold the splitter dont want to start.
I went to bush a week ago and got more cut in a day then what i would all wnter in that crap.

I don't doubt your stories so I must be really lucky so far. I am working on my 5th year of burning firewood and have never had a piece shoot off of the splitter. I burn between 8 to 10 cords a year and I am almost 3 years a head now so I have run a lot of wood through the ole 35 ton Speeco splitter. Would it make a difference that I split fairly large splits for an OWB?

I've been splitting with a helmet on for a few years now. I first used it for the shield for the sawdust but now even have the ear protectors on, yes even in the hot summer sun.
It's like a seat belt, you get used to it in time.
I've seen a few fly and have stopped a few splits when using my splitter. With my processor most exploding splits are contained.

Back