Wood gloves????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
IS there ANY gloves that don't get holes in a half cord of split wood???

I have no problems wearing out gloves, until it is time to split and stack.
Geeze Louise, a half cord and my leather gloves look like swiss cheese.

Any thoughts guys?

I've had $25/pair cowhide wear out in 1/2 day. Wife found a bunch of cheep goatskin leather $3/pair gloves that have lasted a month+. Some here have said pigskin leather wears well also:popcorn:

Ohiowoodguy, I will look for the goatskin and pigskin gloves..

Mercer_me, I have used the Kinco gloves. They wear out just as quickly as wells Lamonts.

For stacking wood, this glove is superior to all others I have tried. I have stacked several cords with the pair I am on now, and there's no noticeable sign of any wear. And they're cheap, too.

Atlas gloves link

The pair I'm wearing is the 300 model, I think, and I bought them for six bucks or so at a local nursery that typically has higher prices than any place else.

300big.jpg

I like the gloves I get at Lowes for about $11/pair. They've lasted quite a while for me. I don't recall the brand, but they are the "Heavy Duty" kind.

There's a technique I use to extend glove wear: When a finger develops a hole, I cut the last inch of a fingertip from an older dead glove and shove it inside. I then squirt in some Plumbers Goop (it's a clear silocone-based product, kind of like caulk) through the hole and let it dry. It's as good as new.

Best ones I have used so far are Galeton PolarGrips. There are several others that are similar with the rubber dipped palms/fingers. They look like the Dyneema gloves shown above but are only about $4/pr vs $10/pr. I might try a different brand next time but the dozen pair I bought are going to last me a long time. I would like to get some that are a little warmer. When it is zero - 10 out my hands get cold in these even when staying active handling wood.

I used to knock out leather gloves in < 1/2 day easy. It didn't matter weather they were pigskin, lambskin, cowhide, or deer skin they all lost finger tips fast. I killed some mechanicswear plus gloves in <1hr (so much for superior synthetic leather). The rubber dipped with a crazed grip finish gloves seem to last and last on wood. Do they last forever? No but they last 10X plus longer in abrasive wood handling conditions.

Don.

If you dont need any puncture resistance the $2 a pair orange gloves with the rubber fishnet grip pattern last pretty good too. They just don't offer any protection from long splinters ie stringy elm and similar.

Atlas gloves

I'm a big fan of Atlas gloves. The Thermafit gloves they make have insulation which makes a bit of padding when splitting wood. They do wear eventually but they aren't that expensive to replace.

One nice thing about cutting Alder is it usually cuts and splits clean so there aren't a lot of splinters for poking holes.

Before I was self-employed, I would sew up hole anywhere in them, ol' school leather work glove, on a break or driving to a job.

Others on the crew would laugh and then they seen how well it worked and the few minutes it only took and would hit me up for my string and thread.

Only sewing I ever do is on my gear..so don't go there. LOL
TreeGuy.jpg

Goat skins with the draw string on the wrist hold up well.

Stiff as a Cob after getting wet and drying out, but if ya soak 'em good with Bar oil/Hydraulic fluid, like gloves should be(LOL!!) they are plenty supple and wear well.

I get 'em for about 10 bucks at the Hardware, and they last about half a year a pair.

What's tough to find is good insulated gloves that hold up for under 20 bucks!

Still ain't found any.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

For stacking wood, this glove is superior to all others I have tried. I have stacked several cords with the pair I am on now, and there's no noticeable sign of any wear. And they're cheap, too.

Atlas gloves link

The pair I'm wearing is the 300 model, I think, and I bought them for six bucks or so at a local nursery that typically has higher prices than any place else.

300big.jpg

I use gloves very similar to these, they last for ages, are comfortable, give you enough feel contact, have a cloth back very usefull for wiping your brow, all in all they are good enough value.

Cheers

:)

What's tough to find is good insulated gloves that hold up for under 20 bucks!

In my area tis winter, there were absolutely NO insulated leather gloves availible.

I am getting that most prefer the dipped gloves. I think I will try a few pair.

Thanks for the help guys.

like dingeryote said get yourself a good pair of leather gloves and let bar oil soak into the grabbing side of the fingers and thumb and they last a long time. i have 2 sets coated and 1 not for cutting and the uncoated ones wore through in a week the others are stihl good and they are a year old now. whenever i spill bar oil i just wipe em up with the gloves then grab a little saw dust & rub em to soak up the excess. even with the oil on em they aren't slippery at all.

Early this spring I started using my husqvarna chainsaw gloves. They've been used for the last three years just with the chainsaw, but I wore out my cheap-o gloves and started using the husky's. I've, cut, split, and stacked about 12 cords this year and they are still in great condition. After a mishap with dirty hydraulic fluid one of them is no longer white and blue and after cleaning and drying it's a little "crusty," but still no holes. They're a little pricey, but fit well, warm, and very comfy leather.

Back