Wood Guru's -- Wood ID Help Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first one is positively American Elm. Normally extremely stringy ad hard to split. The reason it split relatively easy and straight grained for you is because the wood fibers have weakened from the beginnings of rot. You've caught it just in time, one more year and it probably would be about worthless... but as you cut and split, you may still find some sections that will fight your splitting maul.

Now the second isn't as easy to identify, can't be 100% positive, but with that orange(ish) color of the inner bark I'd say Eastern Black Oak, or more commonly just Black Oak, or sometimes it's called Dyer's Oak. Black Oak is in the Red Oak family, it will often have more than one type of leaf on it... some resembling Red Oak, others like Bur oak, and some like English Oak.

Now the second isn't as easy to identify, can't be 100% positive, but with that orange(ish) color of the inner bark I'd say Eastern Black Oak, or more commonly just Black Oak, or sometimes it's called Dyer's Oak. Black Oak is in the Red Oak family, it will often have more than one type of leaf on it... some resembling Red Oak, others like Bur oak, and some like English Oak.

The oak smell is distinctive, be great if it was oak and not sassafras or walnut.

wood
–noun
the hard, fibrous substance composing most of the stem and branches of a tree or shrub, and lying beneath the bark; the xylem.

The first one is positively American Elm. Normally extremely stringy ad hard to split. The reason it split relatively easy and straight grained for you is because the wood fibers have weakened from the beginnings of rot. You've caught it just in time, one more year and it probably would be about worthless... but as you cut and split, you may still find some sections that will fight your splitting maul.

It seems we may have a consensus -- American Elm. Given I will likely not burn until next season or even the following is it worth the effort to harvest only to discover it is saw dust when I go to burn?

I did grab some larger pieces from the same trunk section and they were a bit tougher to split by hand, but not un-splittable.

As for the second -- what additional information can I offer to confirm the species of wood? There is an abundance of wood in another area of the property that is ready to burn (RTB) or near RTB and would rather not mess with an unknown. Now if I were into turning / carving, that may be worth pursuing.

Last edited:
I now agree too, that the latest pics are elm. The 3rd pic in the original group still looks like sassafras to me though... Are these from the same tree? :dizzy:

the 3rd pic in the original post looks nothing like sassafras
the only thing remotely close that i can see is the orange color on the ends of the cut bark.. sassafras does not have a dark center though, same color all the way through

Last edited:
Pictures confirm! Grey/American elm, at least that what it looks like here in Michigan!. 3rd photo in original post is still Black Locust and will always be BLACK LOCUST!

Ok, black locust it is... What threw me is the end shot of the bark(deeply furrowed as an old tree would be). And the last couple of sassafras I have cut have had tan to brown heartwood, with a ring of lighter color material around it. Tough call.

. 3rd photo in original post is still Black Locust and will always be BLACK LOCUST!

Wood_ID003.jpg

this was never black locust, and will never be black locust, ever :msp_scared:
no dark center in black locust

here are some black locust logs i stole form google images: when cut raw its pretty yellow on the inside
images

black-locust-firewood-logs.jpg

BlackLocust02.jpg

Last edited:
I have cut and burned LOTS of black locust, and I have to say that does NOT look like any black locust I've seen. Sorry!

I had my doubts as well -- it does not match the black locust in the Wood Reference sticky. I am leaning to black walnut.

Anybody know any carvers / turners in the Detroit metro area?

I had my doubts as well -- it does not match the black locust in the Wood Reference sticky. I am leaning to black walnut.

Anybody know any carvers / turners in the Detroit metro area?

I don't know if it's that photo or what, but it has an orangish tint to it. That's what's throwing me off. The thickness and style of bark along with the dark heartwood do closely resemble black walnut. I've cut a bit of that lately. Mine has been just a little darker than that, though. Maybe it's a slight regional varation...not sure. But, I think black walnut may be your answer. It'd be nice if you could get more pics of it.

Here's some elm.
betterbuilt-albums552-165415.jpg

Here's your picture.
Wood_ID004.jpg

Here's some Walnut.
betterbuilt-albums552-165414.jpg

One thing I don't see in your photo is much of a Cambium layer.

Last edited:
Here's some Walnut.
betterbuilt-albums552-165414.jpg

One thing I don't see in your photo is much of a Cambium layer.

Others have commented on the color differences and perhaps some regional variations, not sure if maturity will account for the color difference as well. The section in my picture is about 12" in diameter and would guess the trunk section it was cut from measures approximately 20" at the base. Your walnut example appears to be much larger / more mature.

By cambium layer I believe you are referring to the layer between the bark and the heart wood. The walnut picture you posted -- along the top edge looks quite similar to the blonde / white edges of the picture I posted.

I did a quick Google image search and here are some photos of completed woodworking projects said to be made from black walnut -- which looks quite similar to the pics I posted both in color and bark. BTW -- this is not my workmanship.

GM_DaddyMac

GM_DaddyMac

Thanks again for the input / feedback.

About the second one have to agree def. not black locust. I would say slippery elm/ red elm. I would like to see a better pic of the bark

Latest posts

Back