Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well here's what 3/4 of a cord of ash looks like on the p/u trailer. It may not look stacked tight, but it is. I could not possibly get another piece on this load and when I stacked it at home it was 16'x4'x18"= .75 cord. I think there is more on here than on that trailer.

woodload1.jpg

Now that is believable........... Maybe he meant that he got a cord and a half between the two. 3/4 on the truck and 3/4 on the trailer............

Thats a good lookin load of wood there........ happy cuttin

Boy's your welcome to come on down and stack the same amount of wood out between fence post driven 8' apart. I'll be willing to bet the truck that you find it will be forty feet long and just over 4' in height. It's stacked in tight, the angle or depth perception of the photo may be fooling you, we have been selling wood since 78 and have kept almost all our customer base, the only ones I know of losing is because they moved or have quit burning wood due to age. We have some customer's with the commercially built racks for stacking wood, we know what we get on. We sell in this area by ricks, 4' high, 8 feet long and the length of the wood the customer desires, no way a half cord by true definition of the word nor does two rick equal a cord, but it is a hell of a load on the 1/2 ton trailer, and it's been doing it since 80, I don't think todays pickup beds would survive for five years under this kind of constant stress much less thirty. Next time we deliver on a week day I'm going to run by the feed store and weigh both the truck and trailer loaded separate and they come back empty and weigh them to see what the weight of the wood is. We've had it stacked quite a bit higher on the Dodge, handles it well but we don't deliver that heavy of a load unless it is a neighbor, afraid of a tire blowing out.

Hey Amscontr how did the Mack end up on its side like that??
I told the better half to lose some weight, j/k. I was dumping some concrete footings about 25 ft. long x 3 ft. thick from a demo job on some loose fill.

Boy's your welcome to come on down and stack the same amount of wood out between fence post driven 8' apart. I'll be willing to bet the truck that you find it will be forty feet long and just over 4' in height. It's stacked in tight, the angle or depth perception of the photo may be fooling you, we have been selling wood since 78 and have kept almost all our customer base, the only ones I know of losing is because they moved or have quit burning wood due to age. We have some customer's with the commercially built racks for stacking wood, we know what we get on. We sell in this area by ricks, 4' high, 8 feet long and the length of the wood the customer desires, no way a half cord by true definition of the word nor does two rick equal a cord, but it is a hell of a load on the 1/2 ton trailer, and it's been doing it since 80, I don't think todays pickup beds would survive for five years under this kind of constant stress much less thirty. Next time we deliver on a week day I'm going to run by the feed store and weigh both the truck and trailer loaded separate and they come back empty and weigh them to see what the weight of the wood is. We've had it stacked quite a bit higher on the Dodge, handles it well but we don't deliver that heavy of a load unless it is a neighbor, afraid of a tire blowing out.
I agree, I really don’t see how he has a full cord (3 ricks) of wood in the bed of the dodge.

This here is 1 full cord

DSC04479s.jpg

I agree that pics don’t truly show exactly how tight it is stacked but when you look at my pictures I think you can plainly see it is stacked much higher then yours… maybe you measure differently ?:D

Nice setup anyway, and GREAT price on the oil burner. Looking to upgrade my 25yr old chevy with a newer dodge next season.

DSC04366small.jpg

oh and i agree with you on the new trucks not taking the abuse our old ones can.
try doing this on a new Toyota tailgate

firwoodtailgate.jpg

Last edited:
i love this pic, sure do wish i lived someplace where i could go out my back yard into that. well i do but the old lady says
" if it falls on the ground that is where GOD wants it to be"

funny there is a whole summer of tree tops that she had logged a few years back just rotting on the ground:(

oh and i agree with you on the new trucks not taking the abuse our old ones can.
try doing this on a new Toyota tailgate

firwoodtailgate.jpg
Ha you couldn't do that on any new tailgate. :popcorn: I really need to get my engine back in my 78 2500.

Last edited:
Easy way to imagine a cord-Think of a stack of plywood (4' x 8' sheets) stacked 4' high.

You've got an easy cord in each truck there.

I knew there was "almost" a full cord on the two trucks, but I wanted to show what a full cord looks like on a pickup. (IMHO you are not going to haul a full cord on one of those extended cab "Yuppy" trucks.) BTW, I had to knock some wood off the first truck before I could back it in the garage. :)
Also it was pretty dry wood. I'd never be able to haul that much if it was green oak.

The second truck was only going about 100 yards so we were not too concerned on how well it was stacked or tied down. Soon after this picture was taken my son dropped a rod on the old beater in back. However, we continued to finish out the cutting season with it only having 7 cylinders!! :clap:

(IMHO you are not going to haul a full cord on one of those extended cab "Yuppy" trucks.)

????? You picking on yuppies or extended cab trucks? I have a four door pickup with a full 8' bed. And it will haul a cord of dry wood without sagging. I've hauled two skids (two ton) of pellets in it without problems.

Find anyone hauling a big horse trailer safely and you'll find a capable truck.

(Well, it's a C3500 dually).

Ken

Here is my beast. I take this thing into places most wouldn't take a log skidder. I use it like a skidder and a bulldozer when it comes time to go to the woods. I get all the good wood out of the woods where I cut because I am the only one willing to go after it. I even had it rolled up on its side once a couple years ago. Planning on putting a winch on this year as well as some side racks. Don't know if it will get done or not but it is in the plan.

oldpicstranfer004.jpg

Back