Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. That is one of the things that NEEDS to be done. They are rotten, so I go with one piece wheels. The guy that I am buying from has been working on it as a project and is moving. I don't think he has put 50 miles on it since he has had it. It should be fun. I am just starting selling wood, so as few deliveries as I'll make this will be great. It has a rebuilt flat head straight 6, with a 4 speed and 2 speed rear. And the dump is PTO driven. Maybe some day it might need a 2 stroke Detroit??????

MIspecial,
That is a nice truck! That's my favorite vintage of Ford truck. It does look a little too nice to use for work, but it is a truck, and it was made to work.
I have a '70 F350 platform/stake. It also has the split rims. My understanding as that as long as they are kept at proper inflation, and they aren't allowed to rust they should be OK. Although, I believe mine are budd and not Firestone rims, so maybe the older ones are more of an issue. I know there was a lot of discussion about split rims in Vintage Truck Magazine a few issues back. You could have a lot at the forums there too.
http://www.vintagetruckmagazine.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=da7c49e93bc3927e134ba6001e3c3a2d
The forums there haven't been that busy, but they could still be helpful.
Again. That is a great looking truck. Good luck with it, and take good care of it.

Budd wheels

The Budd wheels in general are the problem. They are pretty much outlawed on tractor trailers now days. Reason being it is a two piece wheel. IF the outer ring is not locked into place well during inflation, the ring can come loose and trust me on this one. YOU DO NOT want to be in front of that ring when it flies off. Just be extra careful when messing with your tires. ( Changing or inflating )
Being a nice truck like yours I might even consider keeping the original wheels myself. Just inflate tires inside a wheel cage in case something goes wrong.
By the way, that is one sweet looking truck you got there!
Tom

I am getting a 1952 Ford F6 next weekend. Found it on Craigslist. Shes in good shape, run stops and dumps. Not sure how fast she goes but I can wait to haul a few loads. It will be fun to take to a few car shows.

I just sold my 51 Ford F4 Wrecker. It was a great truck I had for 25 years and used regularly winching logs. Does yours have a flat head 8cyl.? That is a really nice truck you are buying there.

I used to deliver wood with a 1941 1 1/2 ton Ford with Marmon-Herrington all wheel drive.I bought it from a guy that had put a 302 in it and gave it a street rod paint job.I know I sold a lot of wood just because people liked the truck, and it sure was handy in the woods.

dont know how to post pics but we use a honda forman atv and we made a wood trailer out of an old boat trailer the dimentions on the trailer now are 4`x7` and the sides are 10 inches, we also have a ford 3000 tractor that we use for skidding big logs. and i also have a beater f150 that hauls wood

attachment.php

this is the old ford i have posted before. a friend of mine has it so i can visit sometimes.:cry: my first attempt at pict reducing. am typing while on phone 1 hand.

Last edited:
new truck

Here is a pic of my second to last wood hauling truck, this one is now for sale. My new one is a 82 4wd one ton dually with 6.2 diesel, and four speed. The truck is in very good original condition with 60k miles on it. The box needs the work, it is also a 8 by 12 bed with hoist. The white one in the pics works good but couldn't pass up 4wd on the new one and everything it does run great.

my little wood hauler

Here is a pic of my wheelhorse and trailer that I use if i have to haul wood from the pole shed to the woodshed. Loaded full it is alot of weight, all it can do to pull it up out of the shed.

Out having fun with the show truck

Some pictures from the last woodcutting adventure with my '90 Chevy K1500.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Since 2004 I have taken this truck to about 10 or so area car shows in WI and MN a year and went on part of the Hot Rod Power Tour last year as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't mind using my "show truck" for hauling wood, I just don't toss the wood in like when using my Dakota. I'm planning on making sides and getting a steel airgate for the Chevy in the future.

burn pile

burn pile growing
attachment.php

wood haulers doing hay duty
attachment.php

this is a small pick-up from past winter. this lasted about 4hrs.:mad:
attachment.php

this is neat

Only in Alaska ....... This guy raised an abandoned moose calf with his horses, and believe it or not, he has trained it for lumber removal and other hauling tasks. Given the 2,000 pounds of robust muscle, and the splayed, grippy hooves, he claims it is the best work animal he has. He says the secret to keeping the moose around is a sweet salt lick, although during the rut he disappears for a couple of weeks, but always comes home... impressive!

I got to figure out how to get pictures up here

Last edited:
Back