Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think there is a huge concern with dents lol.

The rack overhead I made to work on building no ladder and cutting tree limbs that stick down and hit the tractor around the hay fields. I have hauled wood and hay all kinds of things on that rack.

Nice truck....one tons are all I am buying from now on. What's it got in it? Wonder if it came with the helpers.

5.8L gas engine. I love just about everything about it - pulls like a tank, dented up enough that I don't mind adding a few here and there :), no payments and insurance is really low. My only complaint is that the darn thing is so long that when I take it to suburban stores I have to park far enough away to ensure that no one parks next to me or I can't pull it out of the parking space.

When I first bought it the alignment was so bad that it ate the front left tire up in just a few miles - had a bear of a time finding a shop with a long enough rig to do the work so it ended up at the dealer. The only work over $30 a pop was the first stop for a new set of E load rated tires and 4 wheel alignment.

attachment.php

Here's my wood hauler 85 Ford F250 6.9 diesel. I figure a heaping load like in the picture is close to a full cord.

gwiley ..........you would benefit from a flatbed for single rear wheel and a hoist underneath. Get home, hit a button, it all just slides out. Leave the sheetmetal box in the garage for future use, or sell it while its still nice.

The flatbeds with headache rack can be found used.
Electric over hydraulic hoist are simple add-ons. 4ton should do ya.

gwiley ..........you would benefit from a flatbed for single rear wheel and a hoist underneath. Get home, hit a button, it all just slides out. Leave the sheetmetal box in the garage for future use, or sell it while its still nice.

Thanks for the info wdchuck. I think I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a used flatbed - I like that idea - it would reduce the number of twist and heaves I do per cord.

I have posted this before, but this set up worked just as good as I thought it would this season.
attachment.php

More pics please! Also, how much did that setup cost?

It was 5k for the aluminum Truck Craft unit without the optional bulkhead and sideboards which it looks better without it. It is 7k lb. cap.
attachment.php
I have been delivering wood in a dump trailer (picture) which is ok for cords but for half cords this set up is the bomb. They are a sponsor on banner above forum site.

It was 5k for the aluminum Truck Craft unit without the optional bulkhead and sideboards which it looks better without it. It is 7k lb. cap.
attachment.php
I have been delivering wood in a dump trailer (picture) which is ok for cords but for half cords this set up is the bomb. They are a sponsor on banner above forum site.

What type of truck is that? Also, does the insert come with the hydraulics?

Yes everything is included, pump, piston, hoses,controller and installation at that price. Since the truck is/was new and has higher sides they had to put an adapter in the bed but no extra cost. It is a 09 Silverado 3500.

attachment.php

Here's my wood hauler 85 Ford F250 6.9 diesel. I figure a heaping load like in the picture is close to a full cord.

I bet its about 3/4 cord...it looks thrown in the bed though,youd be suprised at how much "air" is in between the wood once you stack it tight...
When i throw the wood in my 7x14 3ft sides dump trailer,I heap it up to about 4 ft high,I fill the entire trailer to the top,and when its all bucked up,and stacked it is about 1.5 cords,i could easily fit 2+ of your loads in my dump trailer ...thats where im gettin my estimates from..

Last edited:
I bet its about 3/4 cord...it looks thrown in the bed though,youd be suprised at how much "air" is in between the wood once you stack it tight...
When i throw the wood in my 7x14 3ft sides dump trailer,I heap it up to about 4 ft high,I fill the entire trailer to the top,and when its all bucked up,and stacked it is about 1.5 cords,i could easily fit 2+ of your loads in my dump trailer ...thats where im gettin my estimates from..

I'd be willing to guess that it's just over a half cord. If it was stacked you may be able to squeeze 3/4 cord in there, but I doubt it.

John D.

The siderails will offer better load support if you have the verticals on the outside.

The load pictured, once split and stacked will fall well short of a cord of wood.

When you toss rounds in, get up there and stack the heaviest ones at the cab and work your way back, the truck will handle it better and you find the work gets easier as you get tireder.

When home, the small rounds at the rear act as a warmup so you don't strain so much when you get to the last big rounds in the front, heck, just roll them suckers off.

A brand new flatbed for single rear wheel is available for $1500.
4ton electric/hydraulic hoist is $2000

Loading an insert with a skidloader will crumple that sheetmetal bed right quick and the truck resale will plummet. Also, it'll present a bad impression to the customer.

I had a customer remark, " Just a few more sales and you can get a new tailgate for your truck", it has a small push dent in it, the kind you could probably vacuum suck out. The point is, the customer noticed it, and that can effect sales.

Just some food for thought.

Some pics of my dodge. This is the same truck that is in post 112 of this thread. I just made some improvements, including a 5.9 magnum motor and a dump bed. This is not a dump kit either. All homemade, all we had was the flat bed, which needed reinforced.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some pics of my dodge.

That is one badass truck!

**edit**
I had thought about eventually doing a flatbed on my ranger when it gets older, and now I think I'll have to...with dump.

Back