Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few loads with the Chevy

Load of oak

attachment.php

Part of a top out of an elm that got knocked down from all the wind at the end of Oct. Also got the freebie tailgate on finally (have to use the super-secret tailgate latch though, regular ones don't work)

attachment.php

Some of you have probably seen this, It's a great you tube vid. I didn't have time to get it all, computers very slow tonight, so I just got this image.

fIAJ5l.jpg

You'd have to build your own, as I understand it they never produced them.

Here is a better picture:
ford_snow_motor.jpg

And a link to the youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjlSJf4274

It was a Fordson concept from 1929.

Chevy Truck

Here is how I end up hauling my wood. The truck is rated to pull 9600# so I have no worries with a load.

What motor do you have in your truck? Do you have any suspension work? I have a 5.3 in my '08 and the book said it is rated to pull 8500 lbs. I had a load of green oak in the bed this week as well as towing a full 5' x 8' dump trailer and it was a liitle too much of a load. I figured right around 2 cords (1/2 in the truck & 1 1/2 in the trailer). That works out to 2800 pounds in the truck and 8500 in the trailer. It seems like my truck has plenty of motor, just not the suspension.

What motor do you have in your truck? Do you have any suspension work? I have a 5.3 in my '08 and the book said it is rated to pull 8500 lbs. I had a load of green oak in the bed this week as well as towing a full 5' x 8' dump trailer and it was a liitle too much of a load. I figured right around 2 cords (1/2 in the truck & 1 1/2 in the trailer). That works out to 2800 pounds in the truck and 8500 in the trailer. It seems like my truck has plenty of motor, just not the suspension.

I think you're a bit of an optimist. 1/2 cord on a long box is thrown in and slightly heaped, and to get 1.5 on a 5x8 trailer, you'd have to stack it all 5' high.

For reference, heres .7 cords tossed (back row stacked) on my 88:

attachment.php

I think you're a bit of an optimist. 1/2 cord on a long box is thrown in and slightly heaped, and to get 1.5 on a 5x8 trailer, you'd have to stack it all 5' high.

For reference, heres .7 cords tossed (back row stacked) on my 88:

attachment.php

I stack the wood in my short bed and have stacked it on pallets before and measured it to 1/2 cord. I have 3 1/2' wood sides added onto my dump trailer which makes the total height 5' which includes the 1 1/2' depth on the trailer. I stacked the wood in the trailer and it measures 5' Wx 8' Lx 5' H which is 200 square feet. Divide that by 128 square feet and it was a little over 1/1/2 cords. I should have taken a picture, but it was a long trip home and dark by the time I got to my wood pile.

Gotcha! I was really just looking for an excuse to post that pic again :D

We are of course gonna need pics the next time ya get a load like that on!

We are of course gonna need pics the next time ya get a load like that on!

:agree2:

What is the GVWR for your dump trailer? Single axle with a single ram?

Big Tex builds two 7K rated (weighs 2K empty), tandem axle, dump trailers. The 6'x10' has a scissor lift and 20" sides. The 5'x10' has a single ram lift and 18" sides. Either one would be great for my 1/2 ton. One day maybe.

Kevin

Edit: the trailer spec questions are for ChrHerrman

Last edited:
:agree2:

What is the GVWR for your dump trailer? Single axle with a single ram?

Big Tex builds two 7K rated (weighs 2K empty), tandem axle, dump trailers. The 6'x10' has a scissor lift and 20" sides. The 5'x10' has a single ram lift and 18" sides. Either one would be great for my 1/2 ton. One day maybe.

Kevin

My dump trailer is a Pequea 5' x 8' single axle with a single ram and 5' sides. It is a 5000 pound trailer, but will dump almost 8000 pounds. I highly recommend getting one as it has saved me from beating up my new truck. I think they are aound $5000 new, but I found mine on craigslist for $2200 and it was only two years old. Great for firewood as well as tree removal. I will take some pics this weekend or next week possibly.

Dump truck is still out of commision with brake issues...

But borrowed grandpaws trailer- roughly 4x8 with 2' sides. Love putting wood in it. Saves dents on the truck bed :cry:

But I can get a nice load with the truck bed and trailer full

Nice set up Creeker.

6.5 diesel?

Ive said it a few times, but I really do miss the dump function. haha. So much easier to haul a load of wood, and just dump in somebodys yard and drive off :D

Nice set up Creeker.

6.5 diesel?

Ive said it a few times, but I really do miss the dump function. haha. So much easier to haul a load of wood, and just dump in somebodys yard and drive off :D

This truck is gasoline powered. Had I planned to run the truck every day I rather a diesel but for my use the gasoline is a better choice. The engine is a 454, fuel injected, 79,000 miles with no issues, mated to a 5 speed manual. I drove it & everything works great. Like they as the proof is in the pudding so this time next year I'll know if I made the correct choice...........Creeker

LAH,very nice C3500HD!!! Your right about the 454 being better....its much better esp for the C3500HD,the 6.5 is a hit or miss engine,some were good,many not so good...esp with the 94 and newer electronic controlled 6.5's... Thats a pretty stout truck,I am looking for a solid one with a bad 6.5 so i can drop a 12V cummins in.....

Back