Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought this thing in 1986 or so, drove it home about 50 miles, took a while. It will still run but I don't have the time to get it going, maybe someday my boy will want it.
80DNPl.jpg

Bought this thing in 1986 or so, drove it home about 50 miles, took a while. It will still run but I don't have the time to get it going, maybe someday my boy will want it.
80DNPl.jpg

That thing looks mean..

I like the front bumper!!

80DNPl.jpg

That truck is very cool. Love to see some more picts if you got any. Does the winch work?

Somesawguy, great truck, whats all the yellow rolls / tubes on the back of the truck?

They are just tubes of grease that my dad picked up somewhere for free. All of that stuff will have to be moved to use it, but it has been sitting for a few years. You know how stuff collects around a stationary object. :)

Somesawguy;

It looks like the top end of your 216 - rocker shaft, rockers & valves - has not been receiving enough oil and may be plugged with sludge. On this engine the top oil is delivered past the bolts that secure the Rocker shaft - I don't remember exactly which ones - but in the late 50 when I was was a Chevrolet mechanic we often had to modify the bolts by grinding one side flat to allow a larger passage for the oil. We also used the bolts as a ram to free the oil passages below - we removed the bolts then filled their holes with oil - reinserted the bolt into the top of the hole and drove its down into the hole with a hammer - a pile driver of sorts.

These things have babbit bearings but will run forever with minimal care.
I had a 46 Chevy dump with a 1956 235 engine. I installed 24" single wheels with Bandag recaps on its 2 speed rear and found that it would go almost anywhere in the woods.

Good luck with keeping your truck running.

Ed

Somesawguy;

It looks like the top end of your 216 - rocker shaft, rockers & valves - has not been receiving enough oil and may be plugged with sludge. On this engine the top oil is delivered past the bolts that secure the Rocker shaft - I don't remember exactly which ones - but in the late 50 when I was was a Chevrolet mechanic we often had to modify the bolts by grinding one side flat to allow a larger passage for the oil. We also used the bolts as a ram to free the oil passages below - we removed the bolts then filled their holes with oil - reinserted the bolt into the top of the hole and drove its down into the hole with a hammer - a pile driver of sorts.

These things have babbit bearings but will run forever with minimal care.
I had a 46 Chevy dump with a 1956 235 engine. I installed 24" single wheels with Bandag recaps on its 2 speed rear and found that it would go almost anywhere in the woods.

Good luck with keeping your truck running.

Ed

Thanks for the tip Ed. It hasn't been run much for awhile, and that is likely why it looks a bit dry on the top end. We ran it for awhile on Saturday, and all the passages seemed to be seeping/pumping oil. :)

I'm glad it didn't sit for another season though, I think we would have had to take the head off to get things freed up. We had 3 stuck valves as it was. It took awhile to get them freed up.

It's running ok now, but we had a heck of a time getting it started the first time. It still skips a little bit here and there, but it's not too bad. Those old 6-volt systems are a little more finicky about clean connections, and good point contact.

I think we'll get some work out of the old girl yet this season. :popcorn:

Dump Trailer

I have a 2008 1/2 ton chevy truck with a 5.3 V8 and in my experience has just as much power as the larger 6.0 in 3/4 ton models. I bought a 5' x 8' single axle dump trailer with 5' high sides made by Pequea this spring and it is the best move I ever made. Load it up and dump it out. I no longer have trouble getting motivated to unload 1 1/2 cords of wood or a huge pile of brush. I have had 1 1/2 cords or green red oak and the truck pulled it fine and trailer dumped it just fine. Trailer is rated for 5000 lbs and I had at least 7000 lbs. on it without any trouble. I might be a little overweight sometimes but I can haul a lot with a small rig.

Here are a couple of capable haulers road legal and go through the woods like no other truck. There is every conceivable attachment for these rigs as well. I run my splitter and the bed is a three way tipper. Made for the getting trees outa the woods and wood outa the trees. Gets me into some good moose country too. 20 spd trans w/ super crawler and snail,front and rear air lockers, front and rear 2 spd pto and 5.9 litre diesel. I like it better that the JD 450 w/ winch. Mine was a forestry truck in germany I bought it for 5K w/ 4000 hours and 140,000 Kms came with six new 395/85/20 tires that are 46" tall and the little 406 can go 6o mph all day long.

Here are a couple of capable haulers road legal and go through the woods like no other truck. There is every conceivable attachment for these rigs as well. I run my splitter and the bed is a three way tipper. Made for the getting trees outa the woods and wood outa the trees. Gets me into some good moose country too. 20 spd trans w/ super crawler and snail,front and rear air lockers, front and rear 2 spd pto and 5.9 litre diesel. I like it better that the JD 450 w/ winch. Mine was a forestry truck in germany I bought it for 5K w/ 4000 hours and 140,000 Kms came with six new 395/85/20 tires that are 46" tall and the little 406 can go 6o mph all day long.

I'd give body parts to have a good Unimog but they're way too far and few between and the few that I have found have been in the $25,000 range.

Latest posts

Back