Wood Hauler Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw buggy splitter puller.
vebavuqu.jpg

74 f250 in the background is my hauler.
8a7ute3u.jpg

Another shot of my buggy at a car show.
6usydagy.jpg

Chainsaw buggy splitter puller.
vebavuqu.jpg

74 f250 in the background is my hauler.
8a7ute3u.jpg

Another shot of my buggy at a car show.
6usydagy.jpg

Interesting. Tell us more about the running gear. Looks like VW front. Does it have a transmission? I thought I saw a tag on the back, how does it run down the road?

Interesting. Tell us more about the running gear. Looks like VW front. Does it have a transmission? I thought I saw a tag on the back, how does it run down the road?
The frame is all custom made from model a ford frame rails. 68 beetle front end, '82 ford 9" rear end with 5:1 ratio, Buick driveshaft, Willy's springs in the rear, GM master cylinder. Power comes off the engine via a 2:1 double bonded v -belt to a side loader GM 4 speed then to a GM side loader 3 speed. 4 x 3 = 12 forward gears and 3 in reverse. Low low @ 4000 rpm is about 3 MPH and hi gear is about 33mph. It has M18 Kohler for the power plant and the plate that is on it says 1955 farm vehicle. Plate is just for fun.

I wanted a gator but we all know how pricey those are and this is WAY more cool than a gator! I have pulled one full anhydrous tank and a 2 bottom plow with it! People sure look when I roll thru town to put gas in it!!

Nice score on a genuine wood hauler Homelite410.

Mines a little fancy but it serves as my daily driver as well. I still work it though and the bed and tailgate have the dent's to prove it.

My truck will be 4 years old in March so I'm not as anal about a scratch or dent like I was when it was new. However, this may be my last brand new truck. New truck prices are hitting a level that is getting untouchable for common folk. I'm not paying $50,000 for a 3/4 ton gasser. Diesels are running $50-70,000 depending how they're specced. Though the prices I'm quoting are for bombed out leather,navigation, laramie/lariat level trim. Still…..

I plan on driving it for many years to come. Plow's snow to.

Attachments

• DSCN3913.JPG
    DSCN3913.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 50
Thanks I built that in 2005, I wanted a gator but we all know how expensive one of them are. I collected parts for 6 months and took about 5 months to Fab up only working on weekends.

what kind and size are the rear tires on it? i like the smaller size ag tires

IMAG0048.jpg

Here's a solid load from last winter. Shortly after this I ditched the tool box so I could get more wood into the bed for each load.
I'll upload pics of the new setup after I go wood cutting next time. Got a different truck (still have ol red though) and bigger trailer to haul logs home with now.

View attachment 330524

Here's a solid load from last winter. Shortly after this I ditched the tool box so I could get more wood into the bed for each load.
I'll upload pics of the new setup after I go wood cutting next time. Got a different truck (still have ol red though) and bigger trailer to haul logs home with now.
Looks good! I never was around one of those f250's I always thought they were a lil lightweight. Just curious.

That truck's been ridden hard and put away wet more time that I can count. 5.4L (anemic by today's standards) keeps chugging along.

They came with the same transmission, transfercase, and rear end as the Super duties did. Has 3.73LS gears and oversized brakes compared to the 150's. Payload is around 2100 lbs, max tow on this truck is only 8500 lbs. It had a ball in the bed that we used to tow a 25' goose neck full of round bales all summer with it, roughly 11,000lbs. It tows the bobcat and equipment trailer well, dump trailer (10k lbs) pretty well too. It does squat a bit now when fully loaded, but it still rides very smooth when empty. I've got 243,000 miles on this one, and my dad has one just like it with 255,000 miles. I usually get 16 mpg empty (not during winter...), 12-13 loaded with wood, and 9-11 towing a loaded trailer. I can vouch that they may appear 'lightweight', but they are quite capable trucks.

My only complaint about this body style was the long turning radius these trucks have. Unless you have a short wheelbase version, all of these trucks require a decent sized area to turn them around. Sucks trying to park it in a crowded area, or maneuvering through tight woods.

I might have loaded a picture of this ATV before, sorry if I did, I did not go through all 1,914 posts to look for it. Temps rose to the high teens yesterday, so I cut down, then bucked a nice dead Red Oak, about 20" at the cut, and close to 40' of similar diameter. Today, temps were back down, with a nice crisp 12°F but, I wanted to haul these rounds out before the snow piles on more and makes it harder to get them out.
Hauler is a JD 15 steel cart behind a 2002 Bombardier Quest 650, full time 4wd. Even on a nice cold day like today, this 14 year old carbureted Rotax engine starts with a little choke and a quick tap of the starter button. This very small time operation lets me wind through the woods picking off the dead Reds without clearing roads or even paths. Every day in the woods reminds me how every one of 34 years in an office was draining my soul.Snow Haul 1.JPG

I wish everyone would repost their wood hauler pictures. most the pictures from this thread were lost.

View attachment 330524

4 x4?

Manual Chevy is hard to find!!

It has the Muncie SM465, L, 1, 2, 3. No need for 4LO with the L gear in that thing. Makes easy work moving the heaviest of loads and easy on the clutch too. It also has the NP208 transfer case with GM 10-bolt in the rear with 3.42 gears. I have some worn out 31x10.5 R15 Baja Claws which have a load rating of C. I've pushed them to the max and they havent poped yet. :rock:

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I put in a rear set of 3/4 ton 7 leafs to handle some extra weight, then has custom 3 leafs made for up front. It sits and rides like a 3/4 ton.

Latest posts

Back