Wood Hauler - Truck or Trailer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Years ago my Dad made a trailer using a '37 Chevy straight front axe with the steering pivots welded in place. The tow vehicle was a '65 Ford Falcon with 170 cu in inline 6 cylinder and 3 on the tree shifter. We hauled a lot of wood with that combo. Later, he bought a Ford Ranger and used it until he throwed-in the towel on cutting wood. The truck was 2 wheel drive.

Nice thing about the truck was it being compact and you could get into the woods and around tight places. Bad thing was it was 2 wheel drive and geared pretty high so sometimes it was tricky getting where you needed to go.

The old Falcon with trailer was nice in that you could back the trailer into the brush/limbs and not worry about any scuffing or scratching!

My wood hauler set-up is a Jeep Wrangler with a 5 x 10 trailer. In the woods, the Jeep is nice in that with low range 4x4, I can creep around to where I need to go and backing-up is very controlled. The trailer has a ramp style tail gate and that makes it easy to load large rounds as I can roll them onto and off the trailer instead of killing by back lifting them. I split the stuff when I get home.

So - what do you use, truck or trailer or both to haul wood?

Thanks!!!!!!
Bill

I use a crappy 1990 chevy 1500 long bed 2wd. It was my bro in laws but he wrecked it, I fixed the whole front end and bought it off him for $100 a couple months later. I get it stuck all the time, and have to make mulitple trips because it cant hold much wieght, even with helper springs. I'm currently looking for a 4wd 3/4 or 1 ton long bed truck to put sides on.

Well I can't complain too much, its got me 14 full bumper scraping loads so far this year.:cheers:

Trailer vs truck

It really depends on what quantity of wood you desire to haul and what equipment you have at your disposal,... I normally use my 1-ton 2wd (as the 4wd replacement that I boought may be soon going back to the dealer, pending a lawsuit against him :chainsaw:) w/an 18' sided trailer. I can haul about 1.5-2 full cords depending on weight factors (wood type/density and moisture level). If I load the truck as well I'm going down the road with about 2.5 cords which might be more than I should really be doing with an F-350. When I have my buddie's tractor available, the I like his dump truck as it hauls 2.5-3 cords loose and about 4.5-5 neatly stacked. The tractor and dump is A LOT faster and easier, but for financial concerns, a standard trailer that you can use for a lot of other purposes makes a lot more economical sense for a lot of people, where it's hard or impossible to justify or afford more than that. I'd love to have a dump truck and tractor, but I'll probably end up buying a tractor and a 25' gooseneck, that I can also haul wood, cars, tractors, scrap steel, etc,... with. My .02:cheers:

I use both, If i can get to the wood easily i will take the trailer, If not and i have to use four wheel drive to get to it, Then only the truck goes. Alsi have loaded both trailer and truck many times.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I use a old 78 ford pickup bed trailer that i overload to the extreme. I pull that behind my 2000 f 150 4x4. I cut only a couple of miles from the house to overloading it is no concern i just drive slower.

I deliver the wood in the truck and trailer....

The wood gets removed from the woods and dumped in the trailer with the tractor....

Wood Hauler

Truck & Trailer

I rather use the trailer but I don't always have it with me when I come across wood.

At the moment I have an F150 4x4 stepside - BFG Mudders and suspension bags. Along with a 5x8 Big Tex (ugly but a beast of a little trailer) ....... Wish list :) - Super Duty & Dump Trailer (working on saving for them)
Here are a few pics

goodnplenty119

goodnplenty119

goodnplenty119

Last edited:
Truck & Trailer

I rather use the trailer but I don't always have it with me when I come across wood.

At the moment I have an F150 4x4 stepside - BFG Mudders and suspension bags. Along with a 5x8 Big Tex (ugly but a beast of a little trailer) ....... Wish list :) - Super Duty & Dump Trailer (working on saving for them)
Here are a few pics

goodnplenty119

goodnplenty119

goodnplenty119

That's a good jag of wood,... How's the steering control with the nose jacked that high in the air? That would make me a bit nervous,...

my brother's truck looks like a porpoise when you get her loaded down. Kinda feels like the front wheels are off the ground but it is doable. I swear we had it loaded down so heavy we picked the nose up off the ground when we took off. I swore I felt it touch town when I shifted......weird. My f250 has never been close to nose up and I have LOADED it.

Truck & Trailer

Well to tell the truth it isn't so bad when the truck is loaded with just bed weight. I think it is scariest when there is a trailer load and the truck is up in the air (sways and pulls the truck around). Never had much of a problem though. I have only pulled stunts like that a few times and for really short distances. Except....... One time.... This was when I first started selling firewood. I had a good fiend that was helping out and he lived on a big plot of land. He told me that instead of doing firewood out of my backyard in a subdivision I could do it at his house. Turns out his mom wasn't paying rent and he was unknowingly being evicted. His mom kept this a secret in hopes to get another job in time and pay off the debt before they were kicked out. That never happened.... Of corse she waited until the last day to tell me I had to get six cords of green red oak out of there backyard. So of corse I had to scramble to find a place to put it. I loaded my truck and trailer to the max (a face in my bed and a cord in my trailer) each trip. What a day :censored: Lol I ended up loosing a face cord to the land lord because I couldn't get it all out in time. But the worst of all was explaining to my dad why the whole garage was stacked to the ceiling and why the drive was full. ( he had to park his car in the street for the next week) Hah, wasn't funny at the time but kind of comical now.

I have a 04 Excursion diesel and use dump trailer. Hauls 2.25 full cord. Real nice not having to unload at end of day. Have cut, split, and delivered 6+ cord in a day with 2 others.

attachment.php

Got this 2 ton ford with a 8 foot by 16 foot dump bed with 2 foot sides to haul logs. I've also got a 3/4 ton dodge with a 14 foot trailer that Stihl Sawing has forbid me from showing pictures again due to jealousy. :D

I haul with a 2004 standard cab, standard trans, 4x4 toyota tacoma. If I'm feeling lucky or don't have my walk behind mowers loaded up I'll take my 6x12 landscaping trailer with me. I put hellwig ez level 550 helper springs on it. They helped, but I need new leaf springs. When I load the bed&trailer fully with wet wood it looks like the leaf springs are installed upside down. It's pretty funny. I've had various chevy&gmc half tons over the years. I think my "dream truck" would be a non dually 3500 series (1 ton) chevy standard cab pickup with a 5 speed trans. Trouble is, for years now most trucks are made in automatic only. The reason being that truck manufacturers gear their production to feminine blank stare types that call their truck their "car" and just want the least amount of shifting on the way to starbucks to get their fag coffee. Well, that's why I like my tacoma. It's a 5 speed, and it has manual locks&manual crank windows. What a concept. Automatic luxury trucks can eat dung.

Latest posts

Back