Wood haulers??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make it earn its keep too.
qymyragu.jpg

No pics right now, but a 2002 F-350 CC/LFB, 7.3/6spd 4x4. I will have another dump truck or trailer one of these days and am looking at different GN trailers now. I may also be picking up a '69 C6500 with a 20' flatbed, 350 V8/4spd (with 2spd rear) for free off of a friend. Needs some work though. Might make a fantastic home for a bigger Cummins or a 6cyl Cat. A 6v92 or 60 series Detroit might work as well...
I'm also picking up a '93 S10 ext-cab 4x4 4.3/5spd for almost nothing off of another friend. eeds 4 tires and a fuel pump, but will be getting almost a full frame off, helper springs, a hand-made flatbed and several other goodies to make it a proper little wood fetcher before it's done.

I would love to end up with a 4x4 F-550/650 C/C short tail w/GN, pintle and 5th wheel hitches. That would pull ANYTHING, I'd ever want to pull and not get much worse mileage than my -350. They would offer a lot more capability and durability as well. Light duty trucks are handy, but medium duty is where it's at (bang for the buck) when there's work to be done. I miss my old F-700 right now.

IMG_0845.jpg

97 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins 5spd w/ 8'x9' flatbed. Wish it was a dump, but maybe one day. This was a moderate load for her. Definitely had more on there at times though! The thing with the diesel dodges is that the Cummins is going to outlast the rest of the truck by a factor of like 4:1 so you better have a plan for that motor when the rest of the truck hits the crapper sooner or later. Still, I love the truck and can't complain too much.

View attachment 356485

97 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins 5spd w/ 8'x9' flatbed. Wish it was a dump, but maybe one day. This was a moderate load for her. Definitely had more on there at times though! The thing with the diesel dodges is that the Cummins is going to outlast the rest of the truck by a factor of like 4:1 so you better have a plan for that motor when the rest of the truck hits the crapper sooner or later. Still, I love the truck and can't complain too much.
You suck. I'd give up some saws for a truck of that caliber!

1999 Ford F350 4X4 Crew cab 7.3 Powerstroke
1995 Ford F350 4x4 7.3 Powerstroke (old Pike Electric Truck)
1994 Ford F Super Duty 12' Flat dump 7.3 Diesel
2000 Ford Excursion V10
20' Gooseneck dump Trailer
16' Gooseneck Dump Trailer
6X10 Tagalong Dump Trailer
6X12 Tagalong Dump Trailer

Owned since 1996 - 92 F150 5.0 5speed 4x4 - wood duties started in 2007 - too light for most loads but at least the air springs keep the headlights off the tree tops ;-)
2000 F450 7.3 powerstroke / 6 speed, 12' dumpbed / bobcat trailer puller / 2wd - have'nt been able to overload it yet.
1993 F350 7.3 IDI / 5 speed / 4:10's / 4x4, 9' flatbed - my perfect wood truck - short enough and 4x4 for the woods, heavy/strong enough to pull the bobcat trailer.

I would love to end up with a 4x4 F-550/650 C/C short tail w/GN, pintle and 5th wheel hitches. That would pull ANYTHING, I'd ever want to pull and not get much worse mileage than my -350. They would offer a lot more capability and durability as well. Light duty trucks are handy, but medium duty is where it's at (bang for the buck) when there's work to be done. I miss my old F-700 right now.

Pretty much. I have been hemming and hawing on swapping one of my pickups for an old dump truck (have an offer on an old gasser). I am almost there, what is holding me back is gas mileage and the freeking insurance (let alone parts and maintenance). Ran it by my agent, geez loweez. I can't justify it without becoming a legit business, then that complicates matters ...as..I am not a business and don't know if I want to work three times as much just to be legal about things and say I own a dump truck..... Even as personal use only, it is three times the insurance. They consider anything bigger than one ton to be a much higher risk, so the rates go up fast. Heck, they can get picky about beds if you wind up needing the insurance, if it shipped with a regular bed and now has a flatbed on it, you can get screwed... I didn't shop around a lot, but my agent is independent and that's what she told me.

The good old days with cheap insurance is over, modern cars are so expensive, a minor fender bender is serious loot.

Find another insurance agent. Its considered personal, limit the mileage, shouldn't be all that bad...

If I was to do it, it would be an older military M135 or similar...dump bed, all wheel drive.

My F150 (not daily driver) has been running about $102/6months. When I called to add my F450 my agent was suprised that is was coming in at $220/6 months but she also noticed their pricing system was coming up with 2014 model year vs what it really is a 2000. She assured me that it should run about the same as my F150 but have not seen the bill yet. The guy I cut with sometimes bought a 2002 F350 dually and his insurance didn't like it because it came up as a "incomplete vehicle cab and chassis" and the agent gave him the third degree about personal vs commercial use. Seems like alot of BS, here I am trying to buy a truck built to be safe with a load and they want to nail you to the cross for it, but it's ok for every joe schmoe around here to load their 1/2 ton so the bumpers dragging. (been there, done that- trying not to again)

Pretty much. I have been hemming and hawing on swapping one of my pickups for an old dump truck (have an offer on an old gasser). I am almost there, what is holding me back is gas mileage and the freeking insurance (let alone parts and maintenance). Ran it by my agent, geez loweez. I can't justify it without becoming a legit business, then that complicates matters ...as..I am not a business and don't know if I want to work three times as much just to be legal about things and say I own a dump truck..... Even as personal use only, it is three times the insurance. They consider anything bigger than one ton to be a much higher risk, so the rates go up fast. Heck, they can get picky about beds if you wind up needing the insurance, if it shipped with a regular bed and now has a flatbed on it, you can get screwed... I didn't shop around a lot, but my agent is independent and that's what she told me.

The good old days with cheap insurance is over, modern cars are so expensive, a minor fender bender is serious loot.

I just license mine as a "Farm" truck... Everything is cheaper on it that way..
26,000 and under "NON CDL" plates...

Find another insurance agent. Its considered personal, limit the mileage, shouldn't be all that bad...

If I was to do it, it would be an older military M135 or similar...dump bed, all wheel drive.

It's the liability because of the nature of modern automobiles being so expensive even with just a minor tiny accident. You can get your state's minimum liability, the cheapest, but man, smack into someone's shiny ride and you might be on the hook for tens of thousands out of pocket, and that's just for vehicle damage.

You can insure anything of course, but if you don't have the income to justify it, which I don't, then it becomes a no-go situation. Most likely I will stick to 3/4 tons and under. I could *use* a larger truck, but it would cost me too much, my income is not that great.

All these guys with built up jacked up trucks way larger than stock, hot rodded engines, etc....they are gonna be in a world of financial hurt if they cause an accident, they could get denied coverage. And the adjusters look for stuff like that.

Lot of guys here make enough, an extra few hundred or five six hundred a year to have a truck with double or triple capacity over a regular pickup isn't that much, but to me it is. The funds simply don't exist, I am doing well to be able to hang onto a part time job, but..it's a part time job. It's better than what the docs told me,k wheelchair or walker...

I'd love a nice milsurp truck, but spendy.

I know this stuff was loads cheaper even just a few years ago, but when I checked last week I got sticker shocked and she laid it out for me, and I think most places will be similar. Above one ton, with a flatbed or dump, gonna cost loads more than a regular bed pickup, and if you get caught doing commercial work with what you claim is a personal use vehicle, well...gonna be interesting times ahead for sure.

If I had a business, with good paperwork and deductions plus the work and income to justify it, sure, but I can't quit this job and go do that right now, just costs too much to start a business today, anything that might work and make some coin. This might change for me in the future, but right now...regular pickups only.

Ya, I am bummed about it, but I ain't an idiot about it either, I was an insurance agent once, I know how picky they can get. Your premiums don't cover squat when it comes to claims, claims come from the funds they invest, premiums cover commissions and office paperwork BS. And driving around with just barebones minimum liability is just asking for it.

I also know in that dump trailer thread I was wrong, I was going by what I remember about prices some years ago, today..different story.

Latest posts

Back