Wood haulers??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progressive has some good commercial rates zogger -

That's actually my carrier. I asked them about personal use on the farm, but I wanted to drive it on the roads as well, three times higher than any of my pickups. I didn't ask for commercial rates, that would mean a different tag as well.

I'm just a scosh low on funds always and not sure if going commercial with firewood sales would do much other than me working just to pay for the insurance and gear. Have to sell like ten cord a year just to cover the additional fees.....not sure if I could do that around here with prices so low and so many guys with a pickup selling on the side. I'd need a good splitter then, more loot...

If I had a way to load big logs, then maybe..then could sell at sawmills, but no way could I afford a truck/loader and the paper work. Just ain't got it up front.

Oh well....best thing for me cost wise is just a trailer with a winch on it and a small manual crane. Might be able to slide by cheap that way.

In the meantime, this winter, we get another polar vortex, someone wants some of my wood, they can come and haul it if they meet my fiduciary requirements..or swap, I like that better anyway. Been saving out my good oak separate, just in case of that. Last winter surprised me, so many folks ran out of wood, dry or green. I never had people ask me before, even though my stacks are visible from the road. Polar vortex was a game changer. I coulda sold everything I had if I had tried, but..that's me geezer stash! It doesn't get any easier, every year.

Last winter, mid March we had a few readings below zero. Seems impossible right now, as last week was 90 and about as humid as you can get.

It's hot during the day now, but WONDERFUL at night, hitting high 50s and low 60s!

I was gonna skip fall haying this year, but the grass is the best I have ever seen, so we'll take it.

IT's LCD Ford 4.5 v-6 power stroke 6.4 up dated to a blue max with a dump full roll back a 10 ton winch to drag logs up on bed or pull truck under the log this way I don't have to take a trailer and loader. Just me my truck and Saws. It took me 5 years to find it.

The bed is only 12 ft long that why it works for me I raise the bed let the log slid down to where I can saw chunks off my three point split is back right up to the log cut split conveyer in the bag or metal cage I only spit them where I can handle them then they go inside to the electric splitter. The truck still has the car puller on the back for loading chunk If can't pick them up I pick them up with it and roll them right on the bed. It takes a while doing it that way but when there free well what do you do. I am not tired at the end of the day. I think I have it like I want it but thats all I do is wood with it. I am like a snake looking for a meal when I'm on the prowel for wood The shade tree trimmers love me. Most all of them have a pickup truck a cheap chain saw and a beer cooler and bum a cig. I don't smoke so that ends that. My thrill is to watch a 100 foot Ash with no limbs for 50 to 60 feet fall and think how much money it will make me. with a 5 foot base wow great drag to 8 ft or 12 foot logs on the truck and head home can't wait to get back to get the rest. When I work with firewood I smile all the time. I deliver with this truck to after delivering the bundles I always find a load to haul back. My route is about 40 miles one way. On deliverys I do about two to four each time. I am looking at bundling some big bundles for delivery and stack. When I deliver bundle firewood I am picking up 16 sticks and not 2 at a time. ust thinking out loud.here's my in side splitter

Attachments

• NCM_0033.JPG
    NCM_0033.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 27
It is a 450 up dated to a 550 The frames are all the same I just changes the tires and springs and idlers. Some people in Clarksville Tn done that. They upped the HP but I just know there is a different I still get that super fuel mpg

Right now I am using a 1989 Dodge W250. I just put the snow plow on it yesterday, so the next time I go in the woods I will have to drop it off.

64convertible004.jpg

I also use a 5' x 10' trailer and have used my '62 Studebaker E-13 1 ton 4x4 in the past. The neat thing about the Stude is that the center section of the side rack is a gate that swings out allowing for easy loading.

halloween005-1.jpg

For hauling logs, I use my '84 International 1600.
My dad had one of those 62 Studebakes he haul coal in

Different conditions but same boots I see. Nice set up with the LR and trailer. Ron

Haix are the best boots I've ever worn, fits like a glove! The landie is a 1972 series 2A, 2.25L diesel, it will pull anything but I have to be careful when it comes to stopping, non-assisted drum brakes makes you discover whole new world of trouble, real quick;-) .... and the steering is assisted as well, ARMstrong power steering :p

Can you ID the military trailer?
Looks like a WWII quarter ton. Ron

Yes it is, it's a Bantam WW2 trailer, produced under licence from willys, by the french army. The specifics for the french are the square rear lights and the "bent" hitch bar, you can turn the hitch bar around 180° to have it towed by a truck and it will still sit (almost) level. I have the serial number of my trailer but have not yet done any serious history of it, I do know that it was manufactured in 1943 and is in pretty good shape for an old geezer, it will carry well over the quarter ton (most of my wood scrounging trips have the leaf springs inverted and the trailer sitting firmly on the rubber stops):D

~Yo

83 Chev C30 with 12ft dump bed, 93 F350 with 12ft dump, 97 F350 with 12ft flatbed, 04 F450 with 12ft flatbed, 81 International 2574 with 18ft dump bed, 2 Ford 8000s with self loader, one setup for tree length the other 20fters.

Latest posts

Back