Wood ID - some kind of cherry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bark has got to be a dead give away. I don't know what it is, but I have seen many. Always along the road, and big. I hope someone has an answer. And can tell us how it burns.

That bark has got to be a dead give away. I don't know what it is, but I have seen many. Always along the road, and big. I hope someone has an answer. And can tell us how it burns.

That's what I was thinking about the bark. Kind of unique. Somewhat like sycamore. I can post a pic once it's cut, but I thought someone would recognize the bark right away.

Chinese elm.

Never burned any so I don't know how it burns, but wood from most elms is hard and dense and makes good firewood.

The bark does not match cherry and the leaves do not match sycamore. The leaves do look Elmish. It could be Chinese Elm or some type of Elm. Where in Maryland do you live? I am in Jarrettsville.

Pretty sure it's Chinese elm.

Ugg I hate even cutting that stuff, it has a skin and lung irritant in the sap so wear gloves and a face mask when cutting and splitting.

Takes quite a while to cure the wood, tough to split, smelly smoke when it burns and semi low btu.
Rates right up there with box elder.

Latest posts

Back