Wood Id x2. It's always fun isn't it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go

c6c9d9b6.jpg

def8fd26.jpg

Would hickory not look a lot like white oak? Almost the same weight too. But it would have a different odor. :smile2:

Would hickory not look a lot like white oak? Almost the same weight too. But it would have a different odor. :smile2:

You mean the bark? Or the wood it's self? And yes, they smell a bit different... Split a whole lot different...

Second piece of wood
4c86ddce.jpg

b6d2342c.jpg

Thanks in advance

i gotta go with sassafras on this one
i say that because of the bright orange coloring on the piece of broken bark in the bottom right second pic, they always have that ring of bright orange around the outside of the rounds
as well as the grain and the way in which its rotting, and he said it had a distinct smell, sassafras stinks
sassafras is my first guess

come to think of it... it IS kind of pinkish/redish on the meat... so in reality,it could be cherry.
as most trees are part of the cherry family.

heres my cat eying up a nice cherry specimen
036Medium.jpg

upon closer inspection
056Medium.jpg

just as she thought

fbz_95928913b7a242fefbf4624b81e59a0f.jpg

Last edited:
come to think of it... it IS kind of pinkish/redish on the meat... so in reality,it could be cherry.
as most trees are part of the cherry family.

heres my cat eying up a nice cherry specimen
036Medium.jpg

upon closer inspection
056Medium.jpg

just as she thought
qm.gif

Prunus serotina??? Well? it does have bark... As do other trees... Ummmm... It has wood under the bark... As do other trees... So I guess there IS a family resemblance there...

Cherry it be!!!

even without any bark , this says a type of oak to me
the way it split, the grain, etc

If it would help I can take a picture of the fallen tree I cut that piece from and post it. I can do it tomorrow, if it would help just let me know what pictures would be best to take

If it would help I can take a picture of the fallen tree I cut that piece from and post it. I can do it tomorrow, if it would help just let me know what pictures would be best to take

Definitely, the more pics the better. End grains, bark of trunks and smaller branches, twigs, leaves, anything.

Definitely, the more pics the better. End grains, bark of trunks and smaller branches, twigs, leaves, anything.

Will do. I wi post the pics tomorrow, I don't know how they will turnout, the tree has been down for about a year or so, but I will take pictures of the felled tree and of the surrounding trees in the area. Thanks for all the help

Will do. I wi post the pics tomorrow, I don't know how they will turnout, the tree has been down for about a year or so, but I will take pictures of the felled tree and of the surrounding trees in the area. Thanks for all the help

Sorry it took me a little longer then I had planned but I got out and got some more pictures of that tree I have been working on. I also have one that is still standing. Hope this helps

e7a69844.jpg

5f33f672.jpg

204c14d1.jpg

18b455a5.jpg

Latest posts

Back