Wood Id x2. It's always fun isn't it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i gotta go with sassafras on this one
i say that because of the bright orange coloring on the piece of broken bark in the bottom right second pic, they always have that ring of bright orange around the outside of the rounds
as well as the grain and the way in which its rotting, and he said it had a distinct smell, sassafras stinks
sassafras is my first guess

Is sasafrass any good to burn. I am going with sassafrass. It smells like root beer. Lol

Why does that thing look like a Beech tree to me??? Do I have Beech tree on the brain???

I was thinking beech. At least that is what my friend, who owns the tree and land said it was, I just wanted to make sure I was not losing my mind.
Thanks alot

William

Why does that thing look like a Beech tree to me??? Do I have Beech tree on the brain???

Sure looks like one to me. I'm wondering if the bit of rot is kinda skewing the color and look of the split. A fresh split looks a lot lighter than the orange color we're seeing.

It's also possible the standing tree and the down one are different trees, but.... there ya go.

Burns fast and hot... If ya got it, burn it...

I think I got it lol. He's got about four sassafrass trees down. They are at least 30-40 foot tall anyone in Ohio that's wants some let me know. He's got plenty. Thanks guys for am your help it is greatly appreciated.

I was thinking beech. At least that is what my friend, who owns the tree and land said it was, I just wanted to make sure I was not losing my mind.
Thanks alot

William

Admittedly... I have Beech envy... We have no Beech trees around here... Which sucks... My grandfather had 5 "mother" Beech trees in his woodlot... They were over 4' across the base... I miss them... They were awesome...
Just sayin'...

Admittedly... I have Beech envy... We have no Beech trees around here... Which sucks... My grandfather had 5 "mother" Beech trees in his woodlot... They were over 4' across the base... I miss them... They were awesome...
Just sayin'...

I got lucky I have been working on that beech scince early November and haven't even put a dent in it. I only cut on it on e or twice a week, which I probably way it's lasted as long as it has. If I had a way to send some to you I would deffinatly send you some if your ever in Ohio just let me know I will let you take some back with you

Just sayin'...

It's good firewood no doubt. The branches can be a bit of a PITA, a bit knotty and twisty. I like to see the bigg'uns kept standing, carved initials 'n all.

It's good firewood no doubt. The branches can be a bit of a PITA, a bit knotty and twisty. I like to see the bigg'uns kept standing, carved initials 'n all.

Yeah, they're a little tough, but I have to deal with Hedge trees now... They're worse... And have thorns... And stuff...
Just sayin...
I miss the Beech trees... :cry:

View attachment 224389
Just sayin'...
Here you go Hedge a pic of Beach
224389d1329482729-img_0549-jpg

View attachment 224389
Here you go Hedge a pic of Beach
224389d1329482729-img_0549-jpg

That's a beach alright... By the way, my first attempt at a freehand table top was a fail... Also by letting the snout stick through the bottom of the log, I got to spend 30 minutes fixing 36" of full comp... :msp_mad:
But still have the log... I will try again next time I'm in that lot...

Last edited:
Back to the original thread (by the way the Beach pics were nice) I went back out and cut the rest of the mystery wood. I'm pretty sure it is Red elm. I compared it to the red elm I cut from my yard and it is the same. It is in varied states of decomp and the entire log has a different look every three feet. Kinda neat actually. Well it burned pretty decent so I cut the other 4 trees that were laying with it. All the same. Thanks for playing along. Tomorrow I will be hauling some Maple and will post up some pics to see if we can decipher what kind of Maple.

Back