Wood ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only seen hickory have brown staining like that. However I've only cut a few of them during charity cuts so I'm far from an expert.

The mockernut I've cut had much smoother bark than that but I can't rule that species out. Definitely not a shaggy.

Hello all!

Long time lurker, and finally signed up. Glad to be here and I am hopeful that I can be a helpful member to the forum.

Anyway, I was told this is walnut? Doing my research online it looks a little light in color to be walnut.
Any guess on the ID and if it would be an OK firewood? Any insight to the odd markings across the tops of the rounds?

Thanks!
Ryan

I don't know what the hell kind of wood it might be.I do know I was chuckleing all the way through the thread!

Gone for now, and I was told that it was indeed hickory.

On a side note, when you make a wood delivery, do your customers tip? I've only one customer so far this year, and I deliver to AFFLUENT suburbs($$$), all of which is leisure burning....

Attachments

• IMG_9409.JPG
    IMG_9409.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9410.JPG
    IMG_9410.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Gone for now, and I was told that it was indeed hickory.

On a side note, when you make a wood delivery, do your customers tip? I've only one customer so far this year, and I deliver to AFFLUENT suburbs($$$), all of which is leisure burning....

Only if their husband is gone for the day!

The only tip I got for delivering earlier this month, was four dollars for a small load of seasoned wood. Maybe a 1/4 pallet full? A married couple, two women.Again, affluent suburbs of Philadelphia know as the Main Line....not sure if tipping is common place or maybe I'm just expecting too much?

In the first pic, the center or darker part Comes apart separate from the rest of the log. I've had this on a few logs from this load I've split.
most likely ring shake, had a big red oak like that the other day. I theorized disease caused an interruption in the growing cycle but sawmill guy said wind more likely. That is hickory in case that has not yet been established.

Latest posts

Back