Wood ID?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan A

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hello all!

Long time lurker, and finally signed up. Glad to be here and I am hopeful that I can be a helpful member to the forum.

Anyway, I was told this is walnut? Doing my research online it looks a little light in color to be walnut.
Any guess on the ID and if it would be an OK firewood? Any insight to the odd markings across the tops of the rounds?

Thanks!
Ryan

Attachments

• IMG_9247.JPG
    IMG_9247.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
I'm really getting pissed off with you guys! I dont call hickory unless its some sort of hickory Ive never seen before.
It's a walnut with some funky grain.
If its walnut the stump bleeds out a dark chocolate if the outside temp is above freezing.

I'm really getting pissed off with you guys! I dont call hickory unless its some sort of hickory Ive never seen before.
If its walnut the stump bleeds out a dark chocolate if the outside temp is above freezing.

I'm not sure what hickory it is for certain but I've got lots of it here in NE Georgia. The squirrels love it.

I hope we can still be friends. :laugh:

I have seen lots of hickory here that looks just like this. I think its mockernut.

Gypo, the gentleman I got the rounds from called it walnut but he wasn't 100% sure. I only questioned it because some of the google images I found are different. I am too inexperienced yet to ID most tree species by sight , and that's one of the reasons I joined. I hope to learn a little while I'm here.

I can tell you that it does have a unique, pleasant fragrance and some of the large rounds were extremely heavy for me to load.If it matters, I am in suburban Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Gypo, the gentleman I got the rounds from called it walnut but he wasn't 100% sure. I only questioned it because some of the google images I found are different. I am too inexperienced yet to ID most tree species by sight , and that's one of the reason I joined. I hope to learn a little while I'm here.

I can tell you that it does have a unique,
pleasant fragrance and some of the large rounds were extremely heavy for me to load.
Ryan, you started a real fun first thread. Welcome aboard!
The fact you said the rounds were heavy doesn't suggest walnut.
Was the tree standing dead?

To my knowledge, the tree was not standing dead. I simply removed the rounds that were stacked curbside for removal. The property owner wanted them gone.

Sorry for the poor detail, I do this as a hobby (and I'm loving it!). My profession is teaching and I am just striking an interest in the whole firewood scene.

To my knowledge, the tree was not standing dead. I simply removed the rounds that were stacked curbside for removal. The property owner wanted them gone.

Sorry for the poor detail, I do this as a hobby (and I'm loving it!). My profession is teaching and I am just striking an interest in the whole firewood scene.
I guess it doesn't really matter what kinda wood it is as long as it keeps you warm.
I'm calling Bulgarian Bugwood.

Back