Wood id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_0524.JPG IMG_0525.JPG I was wondering if someone can help me to confirm this wood....I initially thought it was popular.After splitting it with the wood splitter it split like red oak. I've never seen this type of wood before.

That is Osage Orange or Locust. Just how yellow is the wood when freshly split? If it's bright yellow it's Osage, if a dull yellow it's Locust.
Mulberry is bright highlighter yellow when fresh split or cut also. Mulberry and osage are much closer related then most think.

Thanks for the replies, I've never burnt any mulberry before, so time will tell how well it burns in the woodstove in two years.
If its mulberry it burns hot but will give you a shower of sparks sometimes when reloading the stove. Seasons pretty quick also in my experience. I'll take all the mulberry I can find.

Mulberry is bright highlighter yellow when fresh split or cut also. Mulberry and osage are much closer related then most think.

I've never seen Mulberry that was as yellow as Osage. One other thing, when Osage is green it will have a milk colored sap, that gets really sticky when it dries. :cheers:

I've never seen Mulberry that was as yellow as Osage. One other thing, when Osage is green it will have a milk colored sap, that gets really sticky when it dries. :cheers:
Maybe they were Osage yellow, white sap. @farmer steve and I were pretty sure it was mulberry. Never saw the big seed pods that osage gets so I dont know.

Maybe they were Osage yellow, white sap. @farmer steve and I were pretty sure it was mulberry. Never saw the big seed pods that osage gets so I dont know.

The mulberry I've cut has a yellow color, but Osage was used as dye back in the day. Ive stacked fresh Osage on top of other wood and after a bit of rain the wood below was stained yellow. A really unique type of wood.

Where I’m from they both are very common. They are in just about every fence row. Cottonwood is also very common here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back