Wood id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 675142 View attachment 675143 I was wondering if someone can help me to confirm this wood....I initially thought it was popular.After splitting it with the wood splitter it split like red oak. I've never seen this type of wood before.
How far south central PA are you? I'm about two minutes from the MD line off of rout 94.

I've never seen Mulberry that was as yellow as Osage. One other thing, when Osage is green it will have a milk colored sap, that gets really sticky when it dries. :cheers:
i think the osage is just a bit more yellow than mulberry. +1 on the sticky sap. i'm not to far from the OP so i'm going with mulberry as there is not a whole lot of osage around here.

View attachment 675181 This is fresh cut locust it split easy like red oak with the x27. I didnt find mulberry to be to difficult to split either. Don't think I've ever had any Osage so don't know on that one.

That almost looks like elm to me. Are you positive that is locust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 675181 This is fresh cut locust it split easy like red oak with the x27. I didnt find mulberry to be to difficult to split either. Don't think I've ever had any Osage so don't know on that one.
Andrew yours is BL but at a younger stage than what James has in his pic. his are probably 50-60 year old trees. these pics are a old fencerow locust.
20170228_142119_resized.jpg 20170228_142127_resized.jpg

View attachment 675424 Pretty sure that's Osage. The bark looks like Osage with a bit of orange in it when cut, and that bright yellow. Check that just looked at the pics on a big screen, looks more like Locust. I have some pics of Osage I cut some years back, lookes even more yellow and the bark has a green outer layer.

I know for certain mine is Osage. I just posted the pictures as a reference. I forgot to label them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back