Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Twenty year old silver maple here, I planted it myself from a 12 oz styrofoam cup back in 2002. Nothing smooth about its bark.
View attachment 1011661View attachment 1011662
In terms of maple trees specifically i would say that your silver maple is definitely smoother to the touch while handling it as pure wood or rounds. Yes the large flakes do not appear smooth but if you physically touch the flake it is rather smooth, that is if you are still assuming its bark on a maple tree. And if you cut that silver maple and let it dry to a similar state as the originally pictured rounds most of those flakes would have fallen off and it would be on the more smooth side in terms of maple bark. Im not arguing whether they are smooth or not really that was just how i thought to compare the two. Ive hauled thousands of pieces of each and i would definitely say that a silver maple is more smooth to handle, while sugar is much stronger more solid bark that doesnt come off really at all until dried. Silver maple bark does break off in small pieces immediately. Its not like a mountain ash or aspen level smooth. Neverless, if you compare your silver maple to the rounds pictured there are clearly different. The op’s rounds are still sugar maple in my opinion.

Take away the appearance of the bark, and the end grain practically screams sugar maple. Please, ss396driver, have your son split some of this and get photos. Splits of sugar maple would likely clear all doubt, as they have a pretty characteristic appearance, especially close up.

Silver maple has bark that closely resembles a poplar.I would bet this is silver maple.What some call silver maple with very shaggy bark is actually river maple.

I cut what I thought was a silver maple out of my yard about 4 years ago.The leaves were maple leaf shaped and had the silvery color on the lower side of them.Bark was poplar like.After studying your post and doing some more research,what I cut down was a white poplar.Learn something new everyday.

My best guess would be sugar maple based on that picture. Silver maple has much smoother bark in comparison to sugar or red maple. Don’t see much white oak around me only red so i cant speak on that. Sugar has a more furrowed narrow bark pattern thats rough anyway you grab it. Silver would be smooth to the touch in comparison. Plus sugar maples almost always have darker heartwood while silvers and even red maple is usually a consistent yellow/offwhite all the way though as long as it hasnt had any rot or disease. Just my 2 cents.
Silver is smooth when it’s young but I have 3 in my front yard with bark like that

Looks like it's been tapped for maple sap
I believe the grey streaks in it in the circular pattern are healed tap holes

Latest posts

Back