Wood pile tarps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those sound great! Got any pics? Also, can you think of anything to do with the drums, or are they like contaminated with chemical residue, or what?

Forgot about this thread....

Sorry - no pics right now. Cam + water = $$ I only have .0$ :hmm3grin2orange:

The drums are contaminated for potable water - liquid fungicides, herbicides and fertilizers, but I do have a couple I use for a "rain barrel" for where the hoses don't reach/not practicable.

Will get some pics when I can for ya.

I use a swimming pool cover. It provides a barrier to keep the snow off the wood.

photo-97.jpg

I just fill my whole house with all my wood and live outside in a tent. It dries really nice right in there with the stove and I have a cow hide, tyvex and casvas pool covering ruberized tarp held by the midgets keeping me dry out there. I am struggling to get heat out into the tent from my wood stove though??? Any thoughts?? suggestions?

I just fill my whole house with all my wood and live outside in a tent. It dries really nice right in there with the stove and I have a cow hide, tyvex and casvas pool covering ruberized tarp held by the midgets keeping me dry out there. I am struggling to get heat out into the tent from my wood stove though??? Any thoughts?? suggestions?

Just run some black stove pipe from the top of the chimney down and in to the tent. But be sure to add 2' to get above the ridge pole.

Good post, I like your style :rock:

As far as keeping the tent warm, you need to set it up more like a teepee and just build a fire right in the middle.

Throw away the stove. Burn telephone poles in a fire pit in the tent.

More better.

Ah hell with heating the tent, just lite yourself on fire. That should warm you up nicely.

BUT WHAT DO I KNOW

Checked out the wood piles today while bringing in the last load of wood for the year. The shelter logic is working great. The 20 ft rows are starting to lean a little in there. The rubber roofing covering my 6ft wide X 12 ft long stacks is perfect, not a lick of moisture. The tarps that are 2 trs old are showing some wear. They have flipped up a bit, sides of the stack are wet from melting snow. Probably hold for 1 more winter, then be junk. The 6 mill plastic that was holding up well, are all ruined, stacks are wet everywhere. I will have to recover them with something when the snow melts. They just couldn't stand up to the hurricane, blizzard, and nor easter. Lastly my uncovered rows, went to check a piece and they have molded together. A white glue sort of thing. I NEED MORE RUBBER ROOFING.

Checked out the wood piles today while bringing in the last load of wood for the year. The shelter logic is working great. The 20 ft rows are starting to lean a little in there. The rubber roofing covering my 6ft wide X 12 ft long stacks is perfect, not a lick of moisture. The tarps that are 2 trs old are showing some wear. They have flipped up a bit, sides of the stack are wet from melting snow. Probably hold for 1 more winter, then be junk. The 6 mill plastic that was holding up well, are all ruined, stacks are wet everywhere. I will have to recover them with something when the snow melts. They just couldn't stand up to the hurricane, blizzard, and nor easter. Lastly my uncovered rows, went to check a piece and they have molded together. A white glue sort of thing. I NEED MORE RUBBER ROOFING.

never to much rubber roofing,even if theres no wood to cover. always need more rubber roofing.FS.

Yep! Removed it from a roof in town many years ago, Used to to cover you wood piles during the winters for many years. Rolled it up in the spring and reused it over and over again. Rubber roofing or pool liners seem to work the best.

never to much rubber roofing,even if theres no wood to cover. always need more rubber roofing.FS.

Yep! Removed it from a roof in town many years ago, Used to to cover you wood piles during the winters for many years. Rolled it up in the spring and reused it over and over again. Rubber roofing or pool liners seem to work the best.

The pool liner I tried using seemed to become brittle and fall apart after a season...but it was free.

I was using clear poly sheeting underneath a tarp...the tarp protecting the plastic from falling limbs. I think I will just do the poly sheeting this year, see how that fairs. I may even stack inside my building again this year...then I don't have to worry about it.

So far, seems like there might be an OK market for designed on purpose durable wood tarps. Not generic tarps, wood stack tarps.

Havent built any yet, just yesterday got the pallets, but I now have a stack of real light weight ones. I am kinda sorta thinking about cutting up some of the real durable black plastic I have here, left over broiler farm curtain wall material, using button nails to cover the lightweight pallets, throw then on top, then run some ropes over that to tie them down securely.

So far, seems like there might be an OK market for designed on purpose durable wood tarps. Not generic tarps, wood stack tarps.

Havent built any yet, just yesterday got the pallets, but I now have a stack of real light weight ones. I am kinda sorta thinking about cutting up some of the real durable black plastic I have here, left over broiler farm curtain wall material, using button nails to cover the lightweight pallets, throw then on top, then run some ropes over that to tie them down securely.

that stuff should work .seems like it would be pretty durable.:chicken:

that stuff should work .seems like it would be pretty durable.:chicken:

I dont know what type of plastic it is, but all of mine was well used and thrown away before I got it (boss went to solid walls), and now years later still in excellent condition. Like 10 times better plastic than cheap regular tarps. The sidewall size is perfect for a three 16 inch split wide row stack. The inside divider walls size is sorta goofy sized, but still useful for covering whatever, or it could be cut up. I use some bigger pieces as an over winter weedblocker on garden spaces. Peel it off in the spring, just bare dirt and lotsa worms.

I like strips of rubber roofing material on top of my stacks, keeps the water off the wood and the air breaths through the sides. Also a little heavier so the wind won't blow it away.
For all you Tyvek mechanics.... Tyvek in installed on vertical walls (any water hitting it, beads down) covering the plywood sheathing then covered with a siding which shouldnt let water in to begin with. Placing it horizontally over a stack so water pools on it, will eventually leak through, since it's a pourus material:thinking:

I acquired an old 20 foot square tarp from a highway truck. They use them when carrying loads of steel. Just cut into strips about 20" wide which leaves enough to tack with a staple gun on each side. Sheds the rain and snow, lets the stack breathe.

An old canvas tarp is about the best thing to use. Like you, I received one from a truck driver and had it for some 30 years to cover wood. The last one I received was turned in to a 6x8 portable fish house. I painted it with awning paint and used it for a deer shack in the fall. Can’t beat a cotton canvas as a cover… Just don’t sew multiply layers of it on your wife’s sewing machine. Trust me… I know!!

1+:msp_thumbup:

I acquired an old 20 foot square tarp from a highway truck. They use them when carrying loads of steel. Just cut into strips about 20" wide which leaves enough to tack with a staple gun on each side. Sheds the rain and snow, lets the stack breathe.

Back