Wood score du jour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterc38

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Noticed this good sized Ash tree down in a gulley on side of someone's driveway. I asked the homeowner if I could have it and they said sure.

So far I got two loads like this, there is one more load to go back for. It's on the way home from work.

IMG_1017.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

The trunk was long and straight with few branches. The rounds ranged from about 24" to 30" diameter. I noodled into quarters so I could move them easier and load the truck.

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

Here is the same pile after splitting. Probably a little over a cord, not including the load I need to go back for.

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

:greenchainsaw:

Good Looking ASH....

I would agree, I love splitting ash by hand, so easy and nice to split with one hit. Congrats on your haul though, great story.

Nice score, and being on the way home from work is even better. Too bad it's dark around 4 this time of year.

Whereabouts in Maine are you?

Last edited:
Nice score.
Ash is worth the work for sure.
I found some maple the same way, on the way to work.
Someone cut it down on his property and left it there for a month so I went and asked him for it and he said take all of it.(had to take brush too but ok because I used it for kindling)
Had some BIG HEAVY logs to move by hand but it was worth it.
I also saw he cut three white birch in his back area and I asked for them too. All I had to do was give him some decorative round logs from it and it was mine.
He told me he'd have more maple next year for me as well.
It's fun finding free wood. :D

Latest posts

Back