Wood spliter hyd. tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
line in the center is the baffle. it should be about 3/4 of the height of the tank. the bottom corners should be cut open.

With big corner cutouts so flow is along the lower corners or sides. Don't want it in a waterfall over the top or it will entrain air. Want to get rid of air while holding time in the tank.

sounds like your tank is quite large, that is a good thing.

k

Yes, that picture is almost exactly what I am doing except for the drain fitting in the middle on the bottom. The only real question is to use 3/4" or 1" pipe for my return. I am going to use a holesaw and run the pipe in just like in the picture with threads on the top so I can thread a 90 to my filter, So what would be best 1" or 3/4" or doesn't it matter? I will try to post a picture when it is completed. Chub

If you can go either way, I would go 1 inch pipe.
a. Slower velocity of fluid, less turbulence. 16 gpm pump would be about 20 gpm coming back from closed side when cylinder retracts (16 gpm into rod side pushes out more oil from the closed side more area).
20 gpm in 3/4 pipe is about 12 feet per second velocity. In 1 inch pipe, about 7 ft/sec. 3/4 would be quite fine, but 1 inch pipe would be better.

b. Stronger pipe sticking down into the inside, less vibration, less chance or cracking at the weld joints. Minor point, but better.

c. If connecting to 3/4 NPT filter, need some bell reducers or couplings and reducer bushings. 20 gpm is fairly high for the chain store spin on 3/4 NPT filter, I'd go bigger on the filter, but the 'standard' one would be ok. They will be 'rated' to much higher gpm, but that is somewhat marketing bs, pushing more flow though at a higher pressure drop. Again, just my conservative design personal preferences.

k

Pics of Hyd Tank

Finished the Tank this evening in time to get a coat of primer on her, here she is. Thanks to Kevin and MGA for tips and instruction.

Latest posts

Back