Wood splitter beam extension?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captndavie

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have saved up parts for awhile to build a splitter and I have been thinking of getting more serious about doing it. My first problem is that my beam is just a little too short. I want a push plate on the cylinder and wedge on the beam. But my beam is about short the length of the wedge. I know it’s possible to extend my beam but I thought I would ask for advice and or pictures of extended beams. Thanks!

Some pictures of your current beam would help to give you some advice. I changed my Speeco to a wedge on the foot and lengthen mine to allow for the push plate to go over the wedge on the cylinder. The push plate is a bolt on and the wedge is welded. There are pictures here on my Speeco under my user name.

I had a buddy that had a homemade splitter for years that someone had spliced three beams together it worked ok but looked a little dumb. I have lengthen beams on several splitters over the years for different reasons but if I am starting the the build from the ground up I would just get enough material you don't have to splice the beam.

7/16” thick top plate. I’m not short by a lot but I figure by the time I add a push plate I’m gonna be too short.

Attachments

• 31C20485-0D78-4761-92A0-6F6CFB0A4740.jpeg
    31C20485-0D78-4761-92A0-6F6CFB0A4740.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 8380349C-7A03-4BD9-82A4-D3EA1EDC0E30.jpeg
    8380349C-7A03-4BD9-82A4-D3EA1EDC0E30.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
The last pic isn't even a beam extension, I welded 3 plates together to make the "beam". Had to grind the bottom of the top piece so the push plate guides would fit. There is also a splice plate on the upright flange for strength. Your beam looks a little rusty so make sure you grind it good before welding and do a couple of passes, grind down the top for the push plate and drive on.

Latest posts

Back