Wood Splitter Cylinder Temperature

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought an actuator valve for mine as well as a new cover. Not certain out of business.

Mine works well for 3 years. Only issue I have had is a leaky seal on the actuator valve. Short of that, no issues, even splitting in 90* heat.

And to the OP, the main cylinder gets hot. It’s normal.

I had no idea when I bought it that it was a cheap unit. I can weld, so I will likely make a bigger tank and/or add a cooler to the system.

There are many ways to deal with heat. I agree with most here that the temperature should be known, Some where around a 140 F to 190 F is normal and healthy. Above that temperature and problems will occur. I use heavy wall tubing as both structure and as a cooling device. Mounting a radiator does not work well for me because how fragile they are. On a cold day the oil can run run real slow and cause other issues too. Thanks

Slower motor speed means slower pump speed. Need to move the oil to the tank for faster heat dissipation. YMMV with the ambient temperature.

True, though slower oil flow also means less heat from restriction too.

The problem with many box store splitters is they are designed at a price point. Many should have larger oil tanks and/or a heat exchanger to keep the oil temps in check.

70 degrees outside temp half hour at the most, mine would moan and groan, couldn't get much help from DHT, I had to figure it out myself, put a bigger hydro tank on it still did the same thing, and it ended up being the front seal letting air in the system, once replaced, its been great.
Which front seal did you replace? Mine moans/shudders a lot on the return stroke after running for 20 min or so.

452660-1cc7fd189514aafb31fd799f3cbe1afb.data

Latest posts

Back