Wood splitter education needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muncybob

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search but thought perhaps I would get quicker results by asking for info. Splitting wood will be a new adventure for me. I have seen all sorts for sale. What suggestions would you folk have for a homeowner model. Basically only concerned about splitting would for a wood boiler(yet to be purchased...but I'm working on it). I have seen vertical and horizontal ones..various tonnage.towable, etc. Pricing seems varied greatly also. What makes/models are most reliable?? In the used market are there any you would steer away from? Any help will be appreciated.

I Have a Vertical/Horizontal and like it allot. Ones I can't pick up I split in the vert position. Some people only use the Horizontal with a log lift, Certainly easier on your back, But slower. Look around for a good deal, I got mine almost free, I just had to buy a $220 motor to get it going in top form. it has split everything I have ever tried and I only run my motor about 3/4 throttle.

Iron and Oak is a good, commercial grade splitter, available in H or V models. Reasonably priced and purchased on the internet with free shipping:). I prefer the horizontal only, and thats what I got. If you have to have THE best, a Timberwolf is what you need:clap: . But be prepared to pay a lot more..........

ha ha

You act like you won't be needing it to much Then in the next sentence you said OWB. trust me you and that splitter will be best friends. If you are going to keep an outdoor boiler fed properly. get a good one..

If you have a OWB I would get a 30inch stroke. I have one and love it. I could not go back to a 24inch ram. As far as I know American is the only one that will make one. Timber Wolf might I have never checked.

Welcome to the site munch: Old school splitting wit a maul never hurt any of us. If age or dis-ability comes into play, (Me Lazy) then look for local purchase. Heck, there are soooo many splitter models, only a few are sold in all 50 states. So IMO the name doesn't mean too much. Search around here, look at a few other folks spec's on splitters, you will become edumacated in a hurry! Have fun, too bad, just threw away a indoor wood boiler, the was attatched to a regular gas boiler....Bruce.:clap:

Before you buy, find your wood source, because the size and type of wood you'll be splitting will dictate your splitter needs. If you are going to be splitting 10" pine, for example, and not much else, you don't need nearly as much splitter as if you are splitting 30" oak, like I am.

Just avoid the box store brands, like Troybilt or MTD. (Troybilt IS MTD under another label.)

Take a look at the Speeco, sold at Tractor Supply under their label, or you can buy direct from Speeco. It's a lot of splitter for the money. Not a commercial model for sure, but a LOT less money! I have the 35 ton unit, and it splits 36" oak rounds with no problem.

You might want to just rent something a few times your first season, to get the hang of things. Then you'll learn what to look for in a splitter.

I did a quick search but thought perhaps I would get quicker results by asking for info. Splitting wood will be a new adventure for me. I have seen all sorts for sale. What suggestions would you folk have for a homeowner model. Basically only concerned about splitting would for a wood boiler(yet to be purchased...but I'm working on it). I have seen vertical and horizontal ones..various tonnage.towable, etc. Pricing seems varied greatly also. What makes/models are most reliable?? In the used market are there any you would steer away from? Any help will be appreciated.

I have two. I have a TSC that I have had for years and it does a great job. However, I just had to have a TW6 last year because I had a whole bunch of really big stuff and it had a log lift. The tractor supply one has really been good for a fraction of the money than a Timberwolf. (TW6 is a hell of a splitter though)

You act like you won't be needing it to much Then in the next sentence you said OWB. trust me you and that splitter will be best friends. If you are going to keep an outdoor boiler fed properly. get a good one..

Actually, no wood burner yet...and it won't be a standard OWB...will be a gassifier so I should be able to get away with less wood than a regular OWB. What I was trying to get at though was that I only want something for my own use...I'm not in the firewood business(at least not full time :) ). I do appreciate all the input..now time to start shopping.

Take a look at Northern Tool's 22 ton model. It's built very solid and has a nice guard that the wedge returns back into. This really helps when there is a log stuck to the end of the wedge.

I wouldn't get anything else for the money, I love mine. Don't let the Honda 5hp engine fool you. It has the same amount of torque as Brigg's 8hp model, and starts in two or three pulls.

I've got a Sears Craftsmen 27 ton splitter (horizontal/vertical). It's been great so far, cycle times a little slow but it's handled everything I've thrown at it. I looked at a few other models but shipping to Southern CA was a killer. We just don't have that many options here and Sears has a good warranty as well.

Back