Wood splitter engine oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an 8h Briggs on my Brave Splitter, What oil should I run in the winter time? Straight 30W or switch to 10W30? What oil do you prefer?

Kevin

I usually run a 10w-30, but hardly hit -30 and if it did I wont be out splitting wood!!! But spend the money and buy a decent oil, it's worth it as you (same as I) wont take the time to change it properly, never enough time etc....
Andy

I have a 8HP Briggs on my Brave splitter also. I use 30W Pennzoil and change it often. I think that will prolong the life of the engine greatly so whenever it begins to look the least bit dirty I change it. A couple of bucks is a good investment IMHO.

if the engine in question is using no oil--switch it to synthetic--even if the pan is two qts--whats ten bucks????????????--also--starting ease--and--better lubrication---and--no need to change as often---why--because most of the synthetics have better additive packages---

I am doing the same as Big Woody and running 10W-30 Mobil 1 in the splitter. Its a Briggs Intek 18 hp V-twin and in some places I have looked synthetic was the recommended choice.

Don

thanks for all the replys, i will probably get some mobil 1 10W-30 full synthetic and use it year round.

Kevin

One of the reasons to use a synthetic in an air cooled engine is that they tend to run warmer than a water cooled engine. The synthetic should take the heat better.

Don

Back