Wood Splitter valve leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have an MTD wood splitter that has a minor leak from the control valve.
At the moment it is just an occasional drip between the detention assembly and the main body.
The valve is made by Energy.
If I replace the o-ring is there any thing I need to do other than remove the detention assembly and replace the o-ring.
I've never worked on a hydraulic control valve and don't want to disassemble if there is a chance of parts flying out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had one that leaked a little for quite a few years. Eventually it got "sticky". I replaced the thing because taking them apart is sketchy due to problems with re-assembly. I have done it, but.... most of the time it gets real balky about the spool moving after that. The things are made to micron tolerances. The O ring is for keeping dirt out, not oil in! I would run it until it gets ridiculous...

I had one that leaked a little for quite a few years. Eventually it got "sticky". I replaced the thing because taking them apart is sketchy due to problems with re-assembly. I have done it, but.... most of the time it gets real balky about the spool moving after that. The things are made to micron tolerances. The O ring is for keeping dirt out, not oil in! I would run it until it gets ridiculous...

In no way shape or form are these values manufactured with those types of tolerances, they would cost a fortune if the were. The tolerances if anything are a little sloppy and the finish is rough. Disassemble and reassembly is extremely simple, and worth the few minutes of effort IMHO. The one I rebuild is still working without any leaking ten years later.

Here are the instructions to replace the valve seals from Energy. BTW, the seals do both, keep oil inside and dirt out.

Attachments

• 44833x.pdf
    241 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Back