Wood Stack Pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProMac1K

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This will be my second year cutting wood for the forced-air burner that is piped into the ducting in the basement. First year that I plan to cut and stack wood for full-time use. Last year I just cut up various stuff I accrued when cleaning up the yards on the farms, and made a crib similar to the ones in the Northern Tool catalog to let it season. To make a long story short, i'm new to stacking wood. I know there's a lot of threads to research on in the archives (and I will use the search function until I get silly), but I bet some of you have some pictures taken of your wood piles, where you stack your wood, and how you stack it.

I would love to see your pictures to get an idea on how I should go about storing what I get cut. The terms cord and face cord come to mind, and once I figure out them maybe i'll get an idea on how you stack. But pictures would help to understand the concept. Hope some of you can help me out. Thanks!

There's 8 full cord [128 cf/per] in this stack. Put up early in the spring, covered on top, good to burn by winter.
woodpilex.jpg

Good pictures!

So do the stacks have to be covered? Some I see do, some I see don't. Obviously they don't have to be in a building, but how long will they last being exposed without being covered. Will they get moisture and bug damage that way?

Nice job Gary.

Here's mine. I stack on pallets a two deep row, always four feet tall, and as long as I can. I cover the stacks before the winter rains start and don't uncover them until I burn and then I just roll the plastic (black visqueen from HD) back as needed.

That one pile is 96 feet long so just over 8 cords. I have about 88 feet of that pile left for this year plus another 6 cords of fresh.

Highbeam:

That is a nice stack of wood. Wish my ranks would stand up like your's. Seems as it drys, my ranks start to lean some. In September, I move all of that wood inside so it doesn't get snow or rained on.

Gary

Hey what would happen if one of the racks would fall over? seem like they would just keep knocking the other ones over. Boy that would be a mess, naw i do like these stack, im imbarassed to show my stacks after looking at these .... very nice

Hey what would happen if one of the racks would fall over? seem like they would just keep knocking the other ones over. Boy that would be a mess, naw i do like these stack, im imbarassed to show my stacks after looking at these .... very nice

I thought of dominoes too...LOL what a mess.

Actually the rows of wood are quite solid. Very little wobble and when they do start to lean a little bit because of drying, I can get in between the rows and straighten them up.

Last year, we had a strong wind storm go through the farm where this wood is rank up. I think it was a small twister, because some trees about 200 yards from the wood pile were broke off and thrown. Anyways I was afraid I would find the ranks all topple over, but they were still standing. Guess I've just been lucky so far.

Gary

Good pile (at friends parrents house) for next year. Stacked probably could have been seporated a little bit. And the pile is ready to be split and transfered to be stacked at my house in the bottom pic.
100_0411.jpg

And our poor stack job.
100_0420-1.jpg

Here's a good question. Where are everyone getting there pallets from?
Getting them free or purchase?

Found an auction for a 20 or so yesterday. But didn't get there in time to bid. They went for $30. Wish I would have gotten there earlier.

Last edited:
Here's a good question. Where are everyone getting there pallets from?
Getting them free or purchase?

Found an auction for a 20 or so yesterday. But didn't get there in time to bid. They went for $30. Wish I would have gotten there earlier.

I don't use pallets, I get 4 and 5 foot 4x4s for free from work, they come as spacers between skids of steel, and I don't have to drive the truck 125 miles round trip to pick them up, just toss em in the back seat.

This also works well when hauling in in the winter, usually they bust right loose with the sledge after the wood is off them, instead of tripping over the pallets until spring.

Steve

Nice seeing all the good pictures. :clap:

Question for everyone...... Is it better to stack the wood next to a building (such as a vinyl garage), or is it better to stack it totally "free-air" out in the open? Open to the wind or blocked from the wind? What about stacking indoors vs. outdoors? Basement vs. lean-to?

:monkey:

Latest posts

Back